Brf?

Terry_H

I know it's not short for... barf. Sorry for stupid question, only now learning about trans because mine is going south. What exactly does BRF designate on our transmissions? How important is it that I replace my trans with one with this tag? The search tool doesn't seem to recognize 3 letters.

I know it's not short for... barf. Sorry for stupid question, only now learning about trans because mine is going south. What exactly does BRF designate on our transmissions? How important is it that I replace my trans with one with this tag? The search tool doesn't seem to recognize 3 letters.

Terry,
The BRF is the stock original trans for the GN and T-Type. BR is the valvebody code. It is special as it only came in 86-87 cars.
There are many 2004R models, and of course the BR is one of the better ones.
You do not have to have a code BRF tag, or trans in your car. But, in stock form the BRF will provide the best platform for mods for a mild car.
Other non BRF models can suffer from irregular shift timing, early or late upshifts, and overall poor or disappointing performance.

Thanks very much, Brian. Is the tag the only identifier from outside or is there a casting mark or number?

brf

when you pull the pan off you can see pink paint on the valve body itself which I have known as a way of identifying the brf valve body.

brf

Thanks, Wes. So without an ID tag or a wrench, it's a pig in a poke?

Even if you identify it as a brf by tag or valve body markings it still could be fubar. I would contact any of the transmission vendors on tb.com/t6p. They know these units better than anyone. This way you start out with something good for your turbo regal. You know what they say. You cant make chicken salad out of chicken @@@@!

Even if you identify it as a brf by tag or valve body markings it still could be fubar. I would contact any of the transmission vendors on tb.com/t6p. They know these units better than anyone. This way you start out with something good for your turbo regal. You know what they say. You cant make chicken salad out of chicken @@@@!

Haha! Thanks again, Wes. I also appreciate the photos in email.