Brake switch $225 !!!!!! wow!

Ross L

My brake switch is seaping fluid so I call the dealer. Well I was guessing $65-70 tops!! But $225 for a switch!!! OMG. Autozone say's they can't get the switch seperate. So,,,, I guess I'll buy their powermaster set-up(comes w/ switch) for about $200(no trade in), otherwise $143.99. Any input? Can I "fix" the leaky switch I have??

There's one in parts for sale for $20. I was gonna get it but I ain't goin back to PM.

Ross,

If it is leaking around the base ONLY, you can replace the o-ring. If it is leaking from the connector, it is toast!

its gray

and it seems to be leaking from the base. I may try the o-ring first, because I not sure exactly where it's leaking but I know its the switch. Now the accumulator(sp) is bubbling from the brake fluid that got on it. I know vacuum may be a much more reliable set-up but I really don't want to convert. Heck the car stops better than my SVO(or it did!!)

Call or e-mail Dennis Kirban. He usually keeps a few "extra" desirable parts around the house that he will sell when his business runs out of them.

Try the O-ring first.
A complete firewall bracket to brake lines PM at Discount Auto Parts with lifetime warranty cost me $199.
I tried vacuum & had so many problems, I went back to the PM.

I know this isn't honest but seeing as GM charges an outrageous amount of money for one of these you could paint your gray one to be black:D

I am switching to vacuum. I got the parts on Friday. Cost me $20 from the yard for an entire G-body setup.

Originally posted by turboman38
I know this isn't honest but seeing as GM charges an outrageous amount of money for one of these you could paint your gray one to be black:D

Don't laugh, I know Someone, Not me(Although I AM a cheap Bastard:)) , who Actually DID THIS!!!
And it WORKED!!!!!!!!:eek:

Hey I'm not the original owner,,,,

I don't know why he painted the switch black. Maybe he thought it looked better:D . Hmmm,,,,,,,maybe.

I made a mistake,,

it's $235.00 I just called them w/ the part no. Only thing, no one has mentioned a recall. How do I handle that(I may have made another mistake, the switch was black;) not gray). Oh, I'll probably call Kirban or get the autozone PM and just use the switch.

GMPartsDirect...#18038508...$141.20 shipped...about the cheapest price you'll find...by the way I just had the same problem with the switch leaking from the base...I tried several different O-rings with no success...new switch cured it...I'm convinced that when I replaced the switch previously I tightened it too much and damaged it causing the leak...just a word of caution...tighten the switch until it bottoms out on the MC then STOP!...

Your Buick dealer has a "recall computer". All they need to do is plug in:

Regal
VIN

and they can immediately tell you what recalls, if any, apply to your car.

You can even do it over the phone, so you don't waste a trip...

To my understanding, for certain recalls, it doesn't matter how old the car is, or if you're the original owner.

Go for it...

but can they tell,,

what recalls have already been performed! I feel guilty about even considering painting it black. Or will they even want the original switch(I'm guessing yes!!). The autozone deal still looks best considering it comes w/ acc.ball, switch and the PM. Or since I'm crooked already, I could switch the switch and retun the PM:eek: ! Just kidding on that one. Thanks for all the input!!

Yeah well, as I posted yesterday, the Accumulator ball is now over $200. As much as I like the stock look, I'm not about to go broke...Hello vacuum.:(

Originally posted by turboman38
JIM!! I am appauled! :D

Have you seen the one that Autozone sells? Not the best looking thing, looks rebuilt from salvage yard items. I think they are rebuilt, if that matters to you. The bad looks were the biggest turn off for me. I like my car to look good so that rebuilt thing wouldn't do. Cad plated a booster, went vacuum and never looked back!:D A lot cheaper too.

Oh yeah...Lifetime warranty @ Autozone

I forgot about the lifetime warranty on my Autozone Powermaster! Time to ascertain if the local store can come up with an acceptable replacement. If they cannot, I will demand some sort of other compensation.:p