brake problems

1FASTLS1

Im having brake problems. Was driving it the other day and the brake light came on and the brake pedal is hard. It takes all my leg muscle to push it down, and it brakes bad. I bought a new accumulator ball for $130, but it didnt help. I have lost no fluid, Im at a lost here so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot

Do You hear the pump motor coming on at all? I would almost bet that the pressure switch is acting up. They were a notorious problem, even to the point of GM issuing a recall on them.(1990-91 somewhere around there)

Im unsure what you mean by the pump motor coming on, but I do hear a swoosh sound, almost like a pressure relief sound of air

That's wierd...The pump motor has a distinct "buzz" sound as it builds up vacuum for the system. The wooshing is the vacuum being dumped externally. Try gnttype.org under tech section for some more detailed troubleshooting, I'm curious now.

The pump motor sounds like an an electric motor with a load: GGRRRRRRRRRRR or grrrrrrrr. It should grrrrrr every few times you brake.

One my cars GRRRRRR's and I'm keeping an I on the powermaster.

There's more posts than you can count on powermaster problems and the expensive parts that fix them. Just do a search and find out everything you never wanted to know. ;)

Worse comes to worse I think redregalt still sells a complete vacuum conversion kit...did that on the 85 and it works MUCH better now......

Vacuum system with rear disk brakes will not work if you try to build boost on starting line! If you don't drag race, vacuum will be fine!
Conrad