Brake line question

But apparently, I see I did misread the OP. I see now the leak is in the brake line in the frame rail, under the door. Doesn't that steel line run right to the brake hose above the rear differential? Again, if it does, you can't replace it unless the body removed from the frame. Sure, fix it right. Don't do a half-ass job. Do a frame off. :eek:

Thanks, I get it. I already replaced the front rubber hoses going to the calipers. So I guess I just need the rear hoses to the rear brakes, in addition to the hard lines from NOS4GN which I ASSume go from the proportioning valve to the block on the rear axle housing. Maybe I should actually crawl under the car and see how all this fits together;)

Yes, this is what I'm talking about. That line from the proportioning valve goes all the way back to the rear brake hose. It runs through the frame and then when you get back there, it twists and turns and is pretty inaccessible. As I said, I don't think it's possible to install a direct replacement line. On one of my cars, the steel line was leaking back there somewhere over the rear spring. I was able to piece in a new piece of line bent so it would connect to the rear brake hose going to the rear. On the forward end, I used a compression fitting. I believe these pieces are being referred to as tube nuts in turbo Lloyd's informative post. The repair has been on the car for 4 years now. No problems. Yes, big dirty job. :D

Even though compression fitting on brake lines are actually legal here in NH I will never use them on brakes. I am quite aware of the PITA doing brake lines are but that's not going to make me take the unsafe way out, not with brakes...

Even though compression fitting on brake lines are actually legal here in NH I will never use them on brakes. I am quite aware of the PITA doing brake lines are but that's not going to make me take the unsafe way out, not with brakes...

It's not about brake lines are a PITA. The section between basically where the fuel filter is and the rear brake hose connection is not accessible. The brake line from the proportioning valve near the engine, back to the brake hose, is a single line. There is no access. Of course, I agree with you, if a line can be installed without doing a frame off, with just some relative difficulty, I would say, yes, R & R with a new line.