brake lights

ledzeppac

my 3rd brake light is working, yet my two other lights do not. The blinkers and reverse works fine...

Any ideas?

I thought all three were on the same fuse?

i beleive there is a brake light switch somewhere in the pedal area that can go bad.....maybe someone can elaborate on this just giving my opinion because ive heard of it going bad numerous times

The problem is usually the white wire (turn signal switch wiring) at the base of the steering column going into the harmonica connecter. There is a tight turn there and the white wire will pull out of the connecter.

Either re-install the white wire into the harmonica connecter or simply use a butt connecter to connect the white wire with its mate around the harmonica connection.

The white wire out of the brake switch, (at the brake pedal), is on a separate brake switch contact than the third light wire.

Check it for power with the brake pedal pushed.

If you have power on that wire check the harmonica socket and connections.

Yes they are on the same feed fuse and orange wire at the switch just the outputs from the switch are different.

The light blue wire with black stripe runs the third brake light only.

Originally posted by Red Regal T
Could be a defective turn signal switch that runs through your column.

Yep...sometimes flipping on the hazards and then back off will clear the contacts of that "dialectric" grease and get the brake lights working again. Sometimes there are tiny pits in the contacts which means you will need to replace the switch.

thanks for the responses guys.

I temporarly fixed the problem; by adjusting the tilt wheel higher it allows the lights to work fine....

I just have to drive with the tilt wheel one notch higher than ussual.

Thank you
Phil

Hmmm, not to be a wise guy, but are you overweight? I ask this because overweight people generally flip the tilt up to get out and down to drive, usually causing those wires tio break faster. Soon it will be the wiper wires. Might wanna pull both harnesses thru to check and make sure the wiper one isnt gonna break soon, while you have the wheel etc off to change the t/signal switch.

I see it all the time on GM cars. And sorry for the personal question, its just what I have seen over the years.

Originally posted by TurboJim
Hmmm, not to be a wise guy, but are you overweight? I ask this because overweight people generally flip the tilt up to get out and down to drive, usually causing those wires tio break faster. Soon it will be the wiper wires. Might wanna pull both harnesses thru to check and make sure the wiper one isnt gonna break soon, while you have the wheel etc off to change the t/signal switch.

I see it all the time on GM cars. And sorry for the personal question, its just what I have seen over the years.

WHAT!!!!! :mad:

just kidding, no I am 5'9 195 pounds, not close to overweight. I don't tilt it up to get in. I know its just a temporary fix, but I dont have much time to allow the car to be down right now.

thanks again
Phil

The white wire out of the brake switch, (at the brake pedal), is on a separate brake switch contact than the third light wire.

salvageV6, I agree with you, but that doesn't answer his question.

my 3rd brake light is working

I stand by my original diagnosis.

Actually there was no testing / diagnosis at all.

I usually start at the power and follow it down the line, really simple that way. Beats starting in the middle unless you can tell for sure like burned up wiring or smell of smoke where the problem is.

Seems in this case it's at the switch or harmonic connector but we will never know. ;)

I did actually answer his question, they are on the same fuse, same feed wire, but separate brake switch contact and wiring after the switch.

Following the wire from the switch with a test lamp or meter would have found the problem logically.

One of the guesses here would surely have been correct. :)

ledzeppac said:
thanks for the responses guys.

I temporarly fixed the problem; by adjusting the tilt wheel higher it allows the lights to work fine....

I just have to drive with the tilt wheel one notch higher than ussual.

Thank you
Phil

So Guys. Givne the symptions of the light going off when the wheel is lowered wihat's the consensus on diagnosis Turn signal switch or white wire out of harmonica block.

the white wire is broken but the sheathing is not so take out the white wire wire and feel for the broken part.

ledzeppac said:
my 3rd brake light is working, yet my two other lights do not. The blinkers and reverse works fine...

Any ideas?

I thought all three were on the same fuse?

I had the same problem. Make sure the black wiring harness that is attached to the steering under the dash is firmly connected. That worked for me.

Sorry to hi-jack your thread but I am having a porblem with my running lights, my break lights come on when i press the pedal but dont turn on when I turn the head lights on. Will this wire on the steering column cause my symptoms?