Brake lights not coming on

87GNT

Hello-

So I recently completed the restoration of my 87 GN and I noticed that my brake lights do not come on. However, the 3rd brake light does work fine. I am not sure how to trouble-shoot it. I assume they run of the same fuse so if it was a fuse issue then the 3rd brake light wouldnt be working either and if it was the brake sensor by the brake pedal the same would apply.

Am I correct on my assumption or is there a logic that I am missing here?

Check the white wire going in and out the connector on the steering column. It loses connection and cause this type of behavior. I think it is a flat connector.

You may have to cut it out of the connector and splice it together bypassing the connector all together depending on what condition it is in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok that would make sense so its not grounding? I will definitely take a look. Thanks a million

Ok that would make sense so its not grounding? I will definitely take a look. Thanks a million

Now that I think about it, not sure if the wire was white.... but definitely check that the full voltage when Pedal is depressed is going through the connector under the dash on the steering column. There is also another connector in the trunk to check as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its a white wire, first one at the top of the column on that long harmonica connector C104.

It's not a ground it's the power feed to the back stop lights via the turn/hazard switch, excepting the 3rd brake light which has it's own wire feed off the brake switch.

Pull the plastic shroud and the lower drivers vent to access it.

Its a white wire, first one at the top of the column on that long harmonica connector C104.

It's not a ground it's the power feed to the back stop lights via the turn/hazard switch, excepting the 3rd brake light which has it's own wire feed off the brake switch.

Pull the plastic shroud and the lower drivers vent to access it.

Thank you! I will take a look at it then...