Brake Fluid Leaking

85supreme

I went outside today and noticed a few different wet patches on the ground near/behind the front drivers side wheel. It was brake fluid and when I opened the hood the passenger side of the reservoir was almost empty while the drivers side was full. Didn't really have a chance to look deeper into it. Does it sound like something that is a common issue?

Thanks- Mike

Powermaster brakes?

The driver side reservoirs are for the brake lines. These should be relatively full.

The passenger side reservoir holds brake fluid for the powermaster pump/motor. it's supposed to be relatively low if the pump has run and properly charged the pressure accumulator. Leave the key off and gently pump the brakes several times. This will discharge the accumulator and the passenger side level should rise as the fluid empties from the accumulator and fills the reservoir. When you key on, the pump should run and draw that level back down. You should hear the pump running. It should shut off when the accumulator is fully pressurized.

Look around and see if you can locate the leak.....

Common leakage sources on a powermaster:
Pump switch or switch O-ring
Accumulator O-ring
Pump leak
Reservoir gasket leak
Cover/lid leak

be sure to discharge the system before working on it, otherwise you will take a bath in brake fluid. The thing is charged up with several hundred PSI of pressure.

with key off, gently pump the brakes until the system has completely lost pressure. Could be 20 pumps or so.

I had a spare power master setup from when I did a vacuum brake conversion on my other GN. Just swapped the switches and its all good now. Thanks for the help Steve.

I replaced my accumulator bowl and now I am getting a leak on the passenger side of the reservoir. passenger sideshows about 3/4 inch of fluid which should be correct. I wiped everything down and drove the car for a little bit came back and checked and it was dry. Today I went out to the garage and I had brake fluid on the floor again and the outside of the reservoir was wet on the passenger side. Any ideas?

I replaced my accumulator bowl and now I am getting a leak on the passenger side of the reservoir. passenger sideshows about 3/4 inch of fluid which should be correct. I wiped everything down and drove the car for a little bit came back and checked and it was dry. Today I went out to the garage and I had brake fluid on the floor again and the outside of the reservoir was wet on the passenger side. Any ideas?

Check to see if the rubber gasket under the reservoir cap is seated properly, sometimes one side can sort of call into the reservoir and leave a gap that fluid can slosh out of. That's why it'll stay dry for a while and all of a sudden it's wet after a drive. Take the cap off, and put the gasket on the cap first, not the reservoir and then put them on at the same time. I have had this happen to me once or twice. Hope that helps!

Hope that was it! It's always nice when it's an easy fix huh? That has happened to me a few times and drove me crazy until I checked it.