BPG Event cage/roll bar NHRA rules STRICTLY enforced!

I posted this to Denny Moore on TurboBuicks.com, just in case guys going to BPG want to and successfully get their license during the event:

>>> Hi Denny,

FYI and you may want to double check with Jim Layton on this but if guys take their license passes and have all their paperwork and he signs off on it they will not be able to run faster than 9.99 until NHRA OK's the paperwork and cashes the license check.

When I got my license a couple years ago it was at Cecil County and I thought I was good to go and dialed in below 9.99, thinking I got my license and am good to go. When I came to the line they said I could only dial in 10.00 as NHRA hasn't approved the license yet.

Again double check with Jim but that was my experience at Cecil and they are pretty strict too.

My personal experience was this: They looked at nothing but the seat belts, they never checked my license or cage cert. They never checked my helmet cert, however there was people that did check to see if I was wearing my helmet, neck brace, gloves before I made a pass.

As far as Mr. Sullivans accident, not sure what more they could tech without knowing how fast the car can go first. I do know that when a car shows up with full cages, window nets, chutes ect. they can assume it's faster than 145 MPH in the 1/4, but I heard Mr. Sullivans misfortune was because a powermaster system decided to quit at the wrong time, no amount of tech could have prevented that.

In a nutshell, I have been told many times "Don't show up unless you are legal". I have been checked more at a test and tune up here local than at any Buick event, including National Trail....... Show up and have fun. I'll bet you will get through....

My dad had all required safety equipment for the speeds he was running and he survived a high speed crash relatively unscathed. I think Shane's point was that you never know when something bad may happen which is why the track requires you to have the safety equipment for the speeds you go. Not that safety equipment will prevent an accident. :smile:

That is exactly what I meant... He had the correct equipment and it protected him... Without that equipment it probably would not have turned out the same...

I am sure Randy could tell you without the proper stuff in our car he would have been hurt BAD... Hitting the wall 3 times was no picknik...

I posted this to Denny Moore on TurboBuicks.com, just in case guys going to BPG want to and successfully get their license during the event:

>>> Hi Denny,

FYI and you may want to double check with Jim Layton on this but if guys take their license passes and have all their paperwork and he signs off on it they will not be able to run faster than 9.99 until NHRA OK's the paperwork and cashes the license check.

When I got my license a couple years ago it was at Cecil County and I thought I was good to go and dialed in below 9.99, thinking I got my license and am good to go. When I came to the line they said I could only dial in 10.00 as NHRA hasn't approved the license yet.

Again double check with Jim but that was my experience at Cecil and they are pretty strict too.

It took me about 3 weeks to get my license. The paperwork must be sent to California's office, takes a little time to get there. They were very nice to me and faxed me over a temp certificate before my real one showed up. Of course I never was asked for it after I got it and I was fortunate to never have been asked for it before. It is a PIA to get it but once you get it it's done. Nice feeling..... Going into tech and you know there isn't going to be issues. I think how you carry yourself and how the car presents itself in tech has some weight. I have seen a gentleman in front of me have his car torn apart checking this and that. I was pretty freaked out when it was my turn only to have him pretty much care less about anything on my car when he saw my fire gloves, and give me a lecture about how good it is to have them......

Enough of my rant.... :cool:

Sean you might want to check with Jim again about having to be an NHRA member to get your cage certified. When i had mine done 2 years ago nothing was said about being a member. Maybe it's changed since then.

the message was a copy and paste from Jims e-mail to me.....I cannot find my 2009 Book but it makes sense...seeing as you need comp license too and NHRA Membership # is required for that....

Attachments

• NHRA.jpg
    NHRA.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 188
I did not have to become a member to get mine certed a couple years ago, might have changed, but they get you when you want your competition license.

I just don't understand why there is so much bickering over this roll bar/cage issue. The host track states that NHRA rules must be followed. If NTR wants to enforce the NHRA rules so be it. If you don't like it; either slow down, be a spectator or don't come. Don't come on here and start b!tching about a certain club enforcing the rules.

With the way society is today, if the track lets you race w/o a bar/cage and you wreck, cause great bodily harm to yourself, bet your a$$ you are going to sue the track. Why.....because they let you race w/o proper equipment. So to protect themselves (track), they strictly enforce the rules.

If you want to race your car without a bar/cage then come down to BG. But then again we have some against the GSCA and won't come:rolleyes: Instead they'll bash some other organization.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

best post in this thread, thanks Billy I can understand why guys don't want to put a bar in their car, I cannot understand why they don't understand that they cant go fast at an insured track if they dont. Racing accidents happen, we have seen too much of it lately. It is not worth getting hurt or dieing over, put the safety stuff in or sit out, pretty simple. It is also true IMO that it is very easy to build a car that is too fast for the driver to handle so the license helps that and keeps the guy in the other lane safer. I have seen guys that have noever gone faster than 13's jump into a 10 sec car and not realize just how fast that is.
Mike

Sean,

I talked with the Chassis Certification person today and he advised me that the cost is $150 PLUS $30 for a total of $180. The additional $30 is because it is a remote site, that will include all additional expense.

Jim Layton

If you don't want to abide by the rules then don't race on the track, my car has a setup to run low 11's or high 10's. I will not cage my car so I stopped at 11.50's. If you want to run at your local track and they don't care go ahead I hope nothing happens to you because there responce team is not so well trained, as many strict tracks take safety seriously.

If you don't want to abide by the rules then don't race on the track, my car has a setup to run low 11's or high 10's. I will not cage my car so I stopped at 11.50's. If you want to run at your local track and they don't care go ahead I hope nothing happens to you because there responce team is not so well trained, as many strict tracks take safety seriously.

Have you read any of these post???:confused: Im glad your car only runs 11.50s. The people who do run faster than 11.49 with no cage or roll bar are not coming to this event!! We all understand that ALL the NHRA rules will be enforced at NTR, end of story and that is fine. We will bring the cars out to Norwalk, Bowling Green and Reynolds and our local tracks where this is not the case. Its that simple and everybody's happy.

NHRA regs. @ NTR

i agree with limited 87 bpg should only plan their event @ tracks who will allow us all to race, when it is not a nhra sanctioned event, maybe next year the people of bpg will look @ the attendance numbers before planning this event @ a track which requires these NHRA rules even when it is not an NHRA event, as for me i wouldnt even consider putting a bar in my 59,000 mile 87 LIMITED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the problem lies in the fact that all tracks are sanctioned by the NHRA or someone so they can get insurance. It is only a question of how the track is going to feel about looking the other way and potentially losing that insurance which puts them out of business. Some track owners do that some will not. The BPG needs to decide what they want and find some common ground with a track owner, easier said than done when it comes to dates and costs
Mike

I am not on the board for the BPG and cannot speak for them but did it ever occur to anyone that maybe they WANT to have an event that is done by the rules where the safety of their members comes first? Just a thought

you have to weigh all the pros and cons...and come to a decison...its not only for those that race but for those that show their cars and spectators it is not about how many cars we can get thru the gate...we look at Toilets...Food Vendors...Golf Carts...Handicap accesibility....proximity of hotels... Resturants...Auto Parts Stores....is Chamber of comercr going to help....Track rental Fee's....without naming names one track wanted 5k more than we got at NTR....Car Show Area...Track Safety Record...also the willingness of Track to promote our Event...we had a 1970 GSX at the Columbus Auto Show in the Spring in NTR's Booth...and Yes Safety is a huge concern...I know I do not want to line up next to a non caged 9 sec car and I have something go wrong and my 3600lb caged car goes into a non caged car...and the other hand I do not want a non teched car lining up against mine...there are 2 thought to this....if your car cannot tech then do not come it is that simple...its like a restaurant where they have a dress code...well we have a safety code... I also heard a rumor that Norwalk lost its NHRA Santioning....but you know how rumor are....

Does anyone have the TSM results from last year handy? That should let us know if people ran faster than 9.99 without a license since there are only a couple guys that have it I think.

Does anyone have the TSM results from last year handy? That should let us know if people ran faster than 9.99 without a license since there are only a couple guys that have it I think.

I was looking at my slips. Last year my best was a 10.00 (had issues all weekend:mad: ) I know a 10.00 is not a 9.99 but they did not say anything to me about that. Unfortunately all the TSM results are on the now-defunct T6P.

I'm going. The only illegal thing about me and my car as far as I know is me not having a NHRA license. That does not make me any more unsafe as far as I am concerned. I will do my usual tech inspection...."what does that car run?"...."um, it runs 10.50's:cool: ). Never had too many problems like that but I do have a certified cage and 99% of the other stuff needed.

Has anyone gotten confirmation that if you make license runs at the event, if you will be allowed to race faster than 9.99? :confused:

From what I was told that track can certify you for the event....but you will not get NHRA license until all paperwork is processed