BOV

Hi

Does anyone here run Blow Off Valves?
Fun Fact,,, i was in a pit 2 weeks ago with a friend who helps out with a car running a huge single ,114mm i think, he has removed the waste gate and controls boost thru a b/o valve and a fuel tech 600,,and it seems to be working pretty well. Second time out car went as quick as it ever did. I'm very intrigued by this arrangement.

I just picked up a used Precision SLIC that came with an up pipe and BOV attached. I wasn't planning on running it but curious on the opinions of this board...

Fun Fact,,, i was in a pit 2 weeks ago with a friend who helps out with a car running a huge single ,114mm i think, he has removed the waste gate and controls boost thru a b/o valve and a fuel tech 600,,and it seems to be working pretty well. Second time out car went as quick as it ever did. I'm very intrigued by this arrangement.
We run 2 60mm gates to properly control boost on a 102mm@2300hp
Through say 5 stages.
the log shows precise control over boost.
I cant even fathom boost control via a blow off valve.
Would need to see a log and with stage intent to believe that would work precisely with gate response actually measured.

We run 2 60mm gates to properly control boost on a 102mm@2300hp
Through say 5 stages.
the log shows precise control over boost.
I cant even fathom boost control via a blow off valve.
Would need to see a log and with stage intent to believe that would work precisely with gate response actually measured.

Turbocharged 4,779 WHP: Can Mark Micke make turbos great in Pro Mod, again? < is the title to a UTube video that is pretty shocking and explains some of how it works for the FuelTech deal. I agree that w/gates can do a perfect job,,however this system seems to have less moving parts?​

Turbocharged 4,779 WHP: Can Mark Micke make turbos great in Pro Mod, again? < is the title to a UTube video that is pretty shocking and explains some of how it works for the FuelTech deal. I agree that w/gates can do a perfect job,,however this system seems to have less moving parts?​

Interesting deal
The fuelteck is an awesome system alot can be done.
the electronic gates have incredible speed.
I know what those guys are trying to do as its seems to be so tough keeping up with the blower cars.
Closest we have come to the idea of pulsing a blow off valve is sealing the wastegate shut with good traction control.
There are many downsides to that though.

There is a Turbo Buick road course car that plumbed the BO Vv. discharge to turbo inlet to improve response.

Attachments

• IMG_4687.jpeg
    IMG_4687.jpeg
    214.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4688.jpeg
    IMG_4688.jpeg
    521.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
in theory the boost controll with a gate or bov on the intake side is going to beat up a turbo pretty good - basically running the turbo full tilt or whatever the exhaust does to the drive... So.. think about this before attempting and/or for the need. .. when you have garrett sending you multiple pairs of turbos to chase a world record - in the case of Micke - this is a different story from the average guy, not class racing and not maxing out th turbo already.

A friend hangs around with Robin Roberts and the SO crowd.
Robin has his blower car running better/quicker than the turbo, even with making less power.
AIRC, he gets 2-300# wt break with the blower.
Proline Hemi and Procharger as I recall.
If the blowers take over, I'll bet the rules will use wt breaks to "even the score".

Always wondered if a recirculating BOV like above would play nice with the turbo bearings and hub long term use.
The sudden pssshh of compressed air pushing or forcing itself on the inlet compressor blade n shaft just seems odd while
turbo isn't under positive load (throttle off condition opening the bov). But I don't build them I just buy them, I'll ask the comp
guys next time I see them.

Merry Christmas
Mark