Bottom Intercooler Bracket

MRW487

Should the bracket have some play or is it supposed to not move? I cleaned my stock intercooler today and I noticed that the bottom bracket that mounts under the oil filter would wiggle a little. I didn't have much light at the time and couldn't tell exactly where the bolt is. If it is supposed to be tight and not move what size bolt and approximately where under the oil filter. There is also 27 years of grime there too that isn't helping visibility either. Also can I buy a hose at Lowes or Home Depot that is the same size diameter (what size btw) as the stock intercooler hoses? I would like to have hoses an inch or so longer that the ones on it now. Thanks

The bracket may move a little because it only has one mounting point but it shouldn't be loose. I don't have a great picture of the mounting but the bracket mounts to the stud at the bottom of the timing cover, and IIRC it has a 14 MM head. Stock turbo to intercooler hose is 2" and intercooler to uppipe hose is 2.5" but I would spring for the silicone hoses from one of our vendor's with some good clamps before I fooled around with a rubber hose.

It should be rigid. That bracket bolts to the intercooler in 3 different places on two different planes.

It should be rigid. That bracket bolts to the intercooler in 3 different places on two different planes.

I was assuming it was unbolted from the intercooler and wiggling around while he had the intercooler out for cleaning, but Earl is correct if you still have both bolts in the intercooler and the hose attached to the turbo you shouldn't see much movement.

Last edited:
I snugged the nut down before I reinstalled the IC. Got me some 2.5" NAPA Gates fuel filler hose cut 1" longer than the stockers....those things aint blowing off anytime soon. $16.00....worth a shot. Thanks for all the info.

Are you talking about the nut at the base of the timing cover that also holds the ALT charging wire?

If you want to the bracket to be rigid, you need to snug down the three bolts on the intercooler (4 if you count the one on the DS too). Just make sure not to strip the threads. If those bolts work 1/2 turn loose they'll make your car sound like a rattling POS.