Boost Problem with TA49

jskarateka

Running a TA49, GN1 downpipe with external gate, and a Turbonetics boost controller using a T off the compressor and a line to the front and back of the gate as per the instructions. Triple checked all connections.

Trying to adjust for 25 lbs on the street, higher on the strip. Even with the boost controller screwed all the way in, I can only get about 21 lbs with some creep to about 23-24 lbs over 2-4 seconds. No exhaust leaks that I can find.

A member suggested a stronger spring on a similar post but GN1 changed their external gate since I bought it and doesn't have one. Another suggesting porting the exhaust port but I could use some elaboration on that.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Testing I have performed:

If I run a vac line (off the compressor) to the bottom connection of the external gate and leave the top connection open, I hold steady at about 8 lbs.

If I leave both the top and the bottom external gate connections open, I hold steady at about 21 lbs.

If I run a vac line to strait to the top connection of the external gate to help the spring and leave the bottom connection open, I get almost 30 lbs.

If I hook the controller and the lines back up and unscrew the controller to get say 17lbs of boost, It will spool to that and hold steady with no creep.

Tried an RJC controller instead, plumbed tuner style to the bottom connection of the external gate leaving the top connection open. Could only get to a steady 21 lbs, no creep.

I had the same problem with an RJC boost controller connected to external gate and turned out the spring in the boost controller had gotten weak. New spring fixed it. Was 8 years old so made sense. Does the turbonetics have a spring in it? I never had one so I don't know how they work.

If you are getting 21 using backpressure only to open the gate, I would use nothing on the bottom port, and use your turbonetics controller to add a little on top until desired boost is achieved. As in doing what you did go get 30, but with the controller inline so you can control how much its getting. I did that for years on my turbo SBC and it worked great.

If you are getting 21 using backpressure only to open the gate, I would use nothing on the bottom port, and use your turbonetics controller to add a little on top until desired boost is achieved. As in doing what you did go get 30, but with the controller inline so you can control how much its getting. I did that for years on my turbo SBC and it worked great.

That totally worked. Thanks BMR!