Boost levels

NY87GN

I am sure this topic has been covered a million times.. Forgive I admit I am a novice, but I have been learning a lot. Thanks to you guys.

While city driving a friend of mine who is more mechanically inclined than I, notice that my boost starts to kick in at about 2300 rmps (about 1psi)..Is this acceptable? I have done some upgrades, chip and etc… I am sure it has to do with my tune. I am runny alky max out at about 22psi, zero knock.

He mentioned there shouldn’t be a reason for the turbo to do that as I am only city driving.. thus turbo should come in later at higher RPM’s or as I drive more aggressively .

Just wanted to gather some thoughts. Many thanks as always for you feedback!!

As soon as the slack in the converter is gone you should have something. If you don't the car will feel like a lazy turd. Sounds like a fairly close to stock application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alky maxed out ?? You shouldn't need the alky full blast to run 22lbs . I was runing 26lbs with the alky at 5 FYI . If u add some timing instead of boost that might help with spooling . What stall converter do u have ?

Alky maxed out ?? You shouldn't need the alky full blast to run 22lbs . I was runing 26lbs with the alky at 5 FYI . If u add some timing instead of boost that might help with spooling . What stall converter do u have ?
I have stock converter.. sorry for the confusion, my alky is not maxed out. Boost is set to a max of 22lbs.

He mentioned there shouldn’t be a reason for the turbo to do that as I am only city driving.. thus turbo should come in later at higher RPM’s or as I drive more aggressively .
that's the responsiveness of the stock turbo.

that's the responsiveness of the stock turbo.
sorry for asking. again a novice here.. So If I were to change the stock turbo, my turbo would kick during higher or lower RPM's? What would the converter also accomplish? ( I understand more speed, just asking from a drivability point a view) Assuming city driving as well as highway.

Since you are looking for thoughts . . . :D
As stated . . It sounds normal.
Typically, it's much easier to slow the car down.:p

If you want to slow down the spool . . . One way is to put a bigger turbo on it without a converter . . . . Or drive downhill at the same speed . . LOTS of options. :p

So If I were to change the stock turbo, my turbo would kick during higher or lower RPM's?
bigger turbo would delay boost, understand the rpm range of a stock motor is below 5000 rpm so the more you delay boost the slower your car will go as you run out of rpm before gear change.these cars don't make power without boost.