Boost issues: need help

SVORay

I posted this on TurboBuicks.com since this site was down or my system was messed up and wouldn't allow me on here.

Anyways, I just bought an '87 T-type Buick yesterday and I'm having an issue with the boost. When I get in the boost, it doesn't seem as much as it shoud be and it makes a loud sound from the CAI (driver side clear as day). It's like the boost controller is dumping a ton of boost and it's bleeding out through the CAI. Also, the boost gauge is broken or not hooked up right. I've checked the IC hoses and clamps and everything seems snug tight.

Mods: I'm not to for sure on most of them but this is what I know now.

208/208 cam
p&p heads ( stock heads though)
chip ( unknown ATM what design program)
TE44 turbo
42lb injectors
Fuel regulator
Houston 3" DP.
Boost controller ( manual and unknown brand/design)
3000 stall converter ( PCT extreme 9" ?)

Also, does anyone know how to return the car to the stock boost/wastegate settings? I'm wondering if the boost controller is bad? And also does anyone know where the best place to hook a boost gauge up at?

Thanks for your help an opinions
Ray

First you need someway of knowing what boost youre pushing.Check the wastegate line-rubber one that has plastic wye fitting-on turbo for being deteriorated.Must be connected correctly.Kirbans sell them,the heat just frys these things.Depending on where they leak will allow car to overboost,making the noise you are hearing.

I've looked high a low to see where the heck that boost gauge is plug in at :confused: I heard there is a place behind the coil pack to plug one in but I can't see a vaccum source there or a boost gauge tubing around the coil pack. Is there another place to attach one at? If all else fails, I bought a new boost gauge and I'll plug it up and see what happens.

I'll try and hunt down that line rubber deal on the turbo and get back on it.

Thanks for the help
Ray

Sorry about posting this but it wouldn't let me edit my post :confused:

Anyways, the chips is a TurboTweet programable chip. I'm not sure ATM what program set up it has. I also checked my Scanmaster at near WOT and it showeds 750-790...I can't really do WOT considering whats going on with the boost.

Thanks
Ray

The fact that you're at part throttle might be the problem. When the turbo starts building boost and you're restricting flow by having the throttle blades partially closed it will often sneeze back through the air filter. More so the bigger the turbo.

Scott Atk said:
The fact that you're at part throttle might be the problem. When the turbo starts building boost and you're restricting flow by having the throttle blades partially closed it will often sneeze back through the air filter. More so the bigger the turbo.

How can I double check this to see if this is the problem...also how can I check that line ruber deal on the turbo to make sure that is working right?

PS I have a boost gauge finnaly :biggrin: That was fun tracking down, the hosing for the gauge was deep in some wire loop disconnected from it's post. Anyhow I got her working and boy does this thing make some boost. The first time I got on her it dumped the boost while @ 15psi...the second time was around 23psi :eek: I'm not ready for that much boost lol I really need to fix this boost dumping and get the boost set around 15psi.

What type of boost control do you have? Stock wastegate solenoid? Bleeder style? Is the wastegate arm threaded to allow it to lengthened or shortened?

The waste gate is threaded and there is about an inch of threads showing I believe. I'm not sure on a solenoid for the waste gate...if it has to do with that plug deal on the drivers side valve cover, there is no vaccum line going to it anymore. If that doesn't help, I'll look again for some sort of electrical plug/solenoid deal. As for which boost controller I'm running, here is a link to it...They call it a pressure controll valve.

http://www.3barracing.com/product_7.htm

I'm just now starting to...had to figure out how it works and get the boost gauge working. So fair I think I got her down to the 15-18psi range. The problem with the noise in the CAI is still there. I'll see about messing with it some more to see if I can get it to stay in the 13-15psi range. I'm also trying to figure out what this line rubber deal on the turbo/wastegate is so I can see if it needs replaced. Anyone got a picture of one or diagram to where one is located at?

Thanks
Ray

Well I'm not a 100% sure but I think I got the boost set at 15psi. I also got to fooling around with the waste gate a little. I poped the actuator rod off and tried to imspect it and the wastegate. The waste gate was stuck for sure. I messed with it and finnaly got it to move a little...about a 1/2" either way? I'm not sure how much these actually move. Anyhow, I reinstalled the rod and took her for a spin. This time around I was finnaly able to stay in the boost without it dumping it all the time. I think mostly around 10psi but still, it seemed like a positive step forward. The CIA still sounds like a turkey BUT it's no where near what it used to be. I want to check the actuator, what Vaccum gauge test kit do you buy to do this with? Also, I want to test the coil pack, does anyone know a good cheap place to buy a tester for it?

Thanks for all the help and opinions
Ray