Boost Gauge not working?

Turbo-J

Gold "Member" Ya Baby!!!
Found broken vac line off the intake going towards the firewall, also found small black vac line coming out of the harness area on the right side. Hooked up my mighty vac pump to see if I could get it working, to no avail it did not.
Thinking there was a vac port on back of the cluster & removed it for inspection & foud no vac port but a elec.connector? Does anybody have any diagrams or know how this system works & can lead me in the right direction. I don't have a service manual yet as I'm new to the TTA ownership, thanks for any help.
Jason

I think Jan and Steve K are the only ones that know anything about these cars...:D :D

I think Jan and Steve K are the only ones that know anything about these cars...:D :D

Check the connections to the MAP sensor and see if it is functioning. Has 3 wires going to it. Toward the rear of the motor by the AC on the passenger side. It is a 3 wire sensor (black, green, and I think red...)

Jason

Gray is 5v
Green is signal
Black is ground

Your missing the hose to the sensor. It goes from the tube on the rear of the intake to the sensor.

Signal is 1.6 volts DC key on.

I jumped the black & green wires at the MAP (key on engine off) & the boost gauge jumped to 20 psi. I've attached some photos, if someone could, see if it looks like its hooked up correctly, I'm not sure if it is or not, this is the way I got the car. Thanks for any help!!
-Jason

Attachments

• IMG_0164.jpg
    IMG_0164.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 561
Intake too gauge vac hose missing? Were does it go to?

Attachments

• IMG_0162.jpg
    IMG_0162.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 794
Ding ding ding.. :eek:

that goes to the MAP sensor. :D

So the vac port, I'm pointing too, goes to the MAP? Then how is the sensor w/the red connector hooked up? And what is that sensor (red connector on the valve cover) called? Does anybody have any pictures on how theres are hooked up, also what are the small plastic vac lines coming out of the harness on right side firewall area? A picture is worth a 1000 words, thanks!!!!

That sensor is your wastegate solenoid. That port is suppossed to have a foam filter on it. Hook your hose from the empty metal tube that HISSES like crazy when you start your car to the MAP sensor.

You just figured a way to hook a hose from the MAP sensor to the WG solenoid.. which is wrong.

That sensor is your wastegate solenoid. That port is suppossed to have a foam filter on it. Hook your hose from the empty metal tube that HISSES like crazy when you start your car to the MAP sensor.

You just figured a way to hook a hose from the MAP sensor to the WG solenoid.. which is wrong.

Like I said before, I just bought the car, I'm new to the LC2 engines & have no manuals to go by yet, so I'm winging it. In the picture were the hose from the map to the wastgate solenoid is wrong, correct? I need to connect the MAP hose to the intake port, correct? On the wastgate solenoid is it the upper port that needs the filter? Is the lower half were the were the turbo/wastage "y" hoses connect, correct? Do I need a new wastgate solenoid? Thanks for the help.

In the picture were the hose from the map to the wastgate solenoid is wrong, correct? I need to connect the MAP hose to the intake port, correct? On the wastgate solenoid is it the upper port that needs the filter? Is the lower half were the were the turbo/wastage "y" hoses connect, correct? Do I need a new wastgate solenoid? Thanks for the help.

Yes you need to connect MAP hose to intake port.

Leave your WG solenoid alone, you can leave the port open as it needs to breathe.

In other words, dont touch your WG solenoid and hook the hose from the intake port to the MAP sensor.

here you go, found an old pic of mine...

hth,
Scott

Attachments

• image0003.jpg
    image0003.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 501
Yes you need to connect MAP hose to intake port.

Leave your WG solenoid alone, you can leave the port open as it needs to breathe.

In other words, dont touch your WG solenoid and hook the hose from the intake port to the MAP sensor.

Does the hose from the intake port to the MAP need to be reduced? Or can it be the same size hose, as long as it has a tight connection at the intake & MAP? Where do the small black vac lines coming out of the harness go to? Thanks again!!

Does the hose from the intake port to the MAP need to be reduced? Or can it be the same size hose, as long as it has a tight connection at the intake & MAP? Where do the small black vac lines coming out of the harness go to? Thanks again!!

Dude your milking this for all its worth. :eek:

Just put any hose from the Intake port to the map sensor port and it will work. Just make the hose short, put some zip ties(tie wraps) on it so it doesnt blow off.

Further than that, I cant help any further. Anyone else want to step in please feel free to do so.

Dude your milking this for all its worth. :eek:

Just put any hose from the Intake port to the map sensor port and it will work. Just make the hose short, put some zip ties(tie wraps) on it so it doesnt blow off.

Further than that, I cant help any further. Anyone else want to step in please feel free to do so.

Milking this???? I guess, sorry for asking too many questions & wanting to be thorough & fix it correctly. I don't have a manuals yet & I'm new to LC2 engines . I thought, thats what this tech form was for, asking questions & sharing information. I think, I have it figured out now & appreciate everyones help.

Well, I fixed the vac line, routed the hoses correctly to the MAP & Waste gate solenoid. I installed the correct .40" insert in the the gray Y connector, I received from Johns performance. The car seems to run better, but the boost gauge still doesn't work when driving, I can hear it, just no gauge operation. I can jump the 2 pins at the MAP & the gauge goes to 20psi, there's also a 4-6 inch mini harness at the MAP that reverses the wires. Could there be a fault with the MAP? Is there another boost sensor or something I'm missing? I have manuals now & understand it better, but still learning as I go. Thanks for any info!!!

Ignition key ON, engine not running, MAP sensor plugged in.. pierce the green wire with a multimeter will read 1.6 volts DC.

Start engine, will read 1.0 volts DC.

At 15 PSI boost it will read 3.2 volts DC.

Thats your chart, if it doesnt read 1.6 you have a faulty MAP sensor.

Thanks for the info, I'll give that a try. I was curious, I have a mighty vac hand pump, could I apply vac to the MAP with key on engine off to get any readings aslo? I also just foud out, this vehicle has the PIT Bull chip in it, could that affect th MAP also? Thanks!!