Boost creep/ wastegate hole porting

Drewster

Wish I Had A Clone. AKA Andrew Youlio
I just installed a TA49 Dutt neck IC and a TA 3" internal gate DP. I've always have had boost control issues with the stock turbo set up I know the cam is after market but not sure of the grind.
So with the new combo, boost gets really high especially at the higher RPMs. I'm trying to get 15 psi steady. So after numerous WG tweaks I wire the gate wide open to see what it would do, 1st gear no boost 2ng gear started building and by 4500-5000rpm I had to lift cause the boost was rising really fast and didn't look like it was gona even off and passing 15 psi.
So I get to marking the WG hole for porting to find it is at .930".
What should I do? Port larger?get alchy? change cam? I was hoping to get away with port only. What port size is max. The TA puck is giant 1.615"
7d13375022043bf7cdbb512d99168742.jpg

Drewster on Tapatalk

Last edited:
My 6262 ported to the THDP Puck.

Attachments

• 1414381484634.jpg
    1414381484634.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 374
That think is in desperate need of porting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The ideal internal wastegate hole/puck should be 75% the size of the turbine exducer hole. Not always achievable, but you certainly have a lot of room to port yours out.

Ok thanks. Looks like I need to get new motor mounts so I can center the pipe on the turbo better and keep it off the frame too.

Drewster on Tapatalk

Ok thanks. Looks like I need to get new motor mounts so I can center the pipe on the turbo better and keep it off the frame too.

Drewster on Tapatalk

New motor mounts are not going to do anything in terms of alignment of the downpipe to turbo. It will affect the downpipe to frame clearance but that's it. My guess is that wastegate puck is so large it's causing a restriction and not allowing backpressure to bleed off internally. I would go ahead a port a little bit at a time and check results. Key words being "a little bit at a time." If you try to port to match that puck, you'll have instant boost DROP as soon as the puck starts to open and the car will be a dog off the line.

I had also thought about the puck being too large and was planning on porting in steps. I mainly didn't want to make a 1 DP exhaust housing.
The TA pipe came with slotted bolt holes and I needed to use the slots to the max position. The flange winds up coming off the Garret pad in the lower left corner. That's why I thought I should get new mounts also to center the puck more.
Think I'll try stock mounts first since they are so inexpensive.
I appreciate the words of caution.
I'll post when I test again

Drewster on Tapatalk