Boost Controller Thread??

Just a Six??

OK! Who Farted??
I'm wondering if anyone remembers the thread or can just point me to one that involves using a Ball & Spring Grainger Valve setup & still allows the car to have the Stock Boost Solenoid hooked up so the Dash Lights work? I know the one I had saved before was probably at least 4-5 years old.
I think it was similar to the stock setup with a "T" involved for the Stock Solenoid?
Thanks!

PS: I did try to search it but there are So Many Boost Control threads!
I had it saved on my old computer that died last year.

I happened across a thread recently that mentioned the ball and spring grainger valve. I will see if I can relocate it.

The one I found was a discussion by Jason on his boost controller and he compared it to the grainger valve. It's about 10 yrs old!

I found something generic from 2002 as well while looking thru some files I saved from the old computer but they aren't GN specific.
I've been at this since 88 so 2002 seems like a couple years ago to me! ;)
I think maybe Mark Hueffman (sp) was involved in it? I found one thread with him but not the one I remember? Just looking for something simple.

I understand, my computer is sitting in the corner and I still haven't figured out how to get to all the favorites off of it!

I'm wondering if anyone remembers the thread or can just point me to one that involves using a Ball & Spring Grainger Valve setup & still allows the car to have the Stock Boost Solenoid hooked up so the Dash Lights work? I know the one I had saved before was probably at least 4-5 years old.
I think it was similar to the stock setup with a "T" involved for the Stock Solenoid?
Thanks!

PS: I did try to search it but there are So Many Boost Control threads!
I had it saved on my old computer that died last year.

The dash lights work off the MAP sensor not the boost control circuit. If you want to keep your boost control solenoid just hook up the boost controller after the turbo but before the "Y".

The dash lights work off the MAP sensor not the boost control circuit. If you want to keep your boost control solenoid just hook up the boost controller after the turbo but before the "Y".

Thanks Earl! MAP is fine on PL.
I've not given the car much attention over the last 3-4 years but heading to BPG in 2 weeks got me interested again.
I had a BSTC for a good 10+ years but for the last 4 years would not work properly & drove me NUTS!
Now hoping this ball-spring setup I'm adding can get the boost under control again & sort this out.
I guess getting into some 3rd gear pulls with PL is my next step but I would still like to find that thread.

At least you're smart enough to log it and set it up.....

you know.. instead of just slapping it one then blaming the part later! :D

basically all you're doing is depriving the wastegate of the pressure signal until the last second. The solenoid can open and close all it wants. If there's no pressure there, it just won't vent anything.

Keep an eye on it. Using it with the solenoid circuit can potentially be tricky (and vary car-to-car). On your car, for example, it might be happier on the line after the solenoid (that would require backing off the spring a bunch). Just don't put it between the Y and the solenoid. That method with lower your boost.

Last edited:
google DIY boost controller lots of options the famous old "home depot" version works well and is easy to make

google DIY boost controller lots of options the famous old "home depot" version works well and is easy to make
Hey Mike, I was just going to head over to FT Forums to load the latest version on my new home laptop!
I remember those old threads now that you mention it. Thanks & maybe I'll see you at an event this summer?

Mike good to hear you might show up. I have so much stuff on my car & in my engines from you that I will mostly be looking for hats T shirts & the odd small parts. I still have that link in my favourites!