Boost and Vacuum Brakes???

RI-Matt

Well my Powermaster finally died on me at about 70mph :eek: I was only about a mile from home, it took me half an hour to get back home.

Anyway, I had purchased a vacuum brake conversion kit a while back so I would have it when the slugmaster died. So I installed it this weekend. What a difference! But this got me thinking, what happens under boost as far as pressure on the booster? I know the booster has a check valve on it that is supposed to be a one way valve but was it designed for boost? I have one of those PCV in-line check valves that I don't use and was wondering if it could be used in-line on the booster line.

Also, to the people that use vacuum brakes do you use the that black vapor trap? I noticed that the TTA doesn't use one. I would rather just run the hose line without it if I don't need it.

TIA
Matt

I have never had any problem with boost and the normal checkvalve that goes in the booster. What do the TTA's have?

I have one car with the vapor trap and two that don't. I have not had any problems.

I do not use the vapor trap either...as long as your check valve is working properly you shouldn't have any problems........remember that all 84-85 cars had vacum brakes and they work fine.....it's another one of those GM designs that they should have left alone instead of switching to the powermaster setup

I have vacuum brakes on my T. I have asked this question about the vaper trap also. My 87 T V8 came with the vaper trap. (It also had the V8 but not now)

The TTA does not have a vapor trap. I looked at Ron's TTA at the Metco trailer in BG, it has a black check valve in the booster.

I took the vacuum system off of my V8 T and installed it on my Turbo T without the vapro trap. It works great. I guess you could purchase a check valve for the TTA and use it in the booster.

Thanks guys

Thanks for the replies guys. I am gonna take the vapor trap off because I don't like the way it looks. I took my check valve off and tested it and it holds against boost just fine.:) If it's good enough for the TTA's then it should work for the GN. You never see those guys having brake problems.

BigDaddy, I agree that GM should have just made the cars with vacuum brakes to begin with, the car stops so much better now.

Thanks again,
Matt

Vacuum on 84/85?

I thought the 84 and 85 Turbo's had the Hydroboost brakes, not vacuum? Or was that just on the hot-air cars?

1978 / 82 = Vacuum
1983 / mid-85 = Hydroboost II
mid-1985 / 87 = Powermaster