Bogging and Shutting off 87 t-type

84GNv6

As I was on the highway yesterday, I gave it gas and got a little on the boost to pass up another car. After that happened, my TR started bogging as I was doing about 50 mph on the highway. Every time I accelerated slowly, it bogged and gave a hesitation. When I would come to a stop the car would just shut off. I'd then put in park and start up again. Bogging would continue worst and then shut off again.

I don't have too many mods...I do know that the turbo was upgraded and transmission had some work done to it. Also spark plugs and wires were replaced sometime last year. Don't have too much mechanic skills but if someone can point me right direction I'd appreciate it. Could it be fuel pump?

As I was on the highway yesterday, I gave it gas and got a little on the boost to pass up another car. After that happened, my TR started bogging as I was doing about 50 mph on the highway. Every time I accelerated slowly, it bogged and gave a hesitation. When I would come to a stop the car would just shut off. I'd then put in park and start up again. Bogging would continue worst and then shut off again.

I don't have too many mods...I do know that the turbo was upgraded and transmission had some work done to it. Also spark plugs and wires were replaced sometime last year. Don't have too much mechanic skills but if someone can point me right direction I'd appreciate it. Could it be fuel pump?
I am no expert, but I experienced similar symptoms in my car some time ago, and a new MAF solved the problem. Do you have a ScanMaster? did you get any malfunction codes?
thanks
Jim

I have yet to purchase a scan master. Im thinking possibly a fuel pump or maf. Anyone else have the similar problem before?

If its fine on the highway the fuel pump is fine. With the car idling in park in the driveway, smack the MAF with a screwdriver a few times and see if the idle shudders. Alot of times a bad MAF wont set a code. The computers in these cars are pretty slow/stupid

So I read about smacking maf on another thread and then read it on here. After doing so I did notice shutter more after smacking maf. So I'm taking it to replace maf sensor? Also can I get one from my local autozone or oreileys?

When replacing a MAF you have two choices. You can upgrade to a translator and modern MAF or you can go the parts house route.

If you go the parts house route make friends with a counter person and have them 'accidently' order 12 of them. Back in the old days before translators it took 12 times on average to get one that's calibrated close enough. (in my case it was exactly 12)

If it proved to be the maf, you can save a little money by checking the "parts for sale" section. But the best bang for the buck is to upgrade to the later maf's w/the translator. If time is available, read up on the trans. and purchase one to match your future requirements. Also, you may have to consider purchasing a cold-air-intake for convenient installation.

Save yourself some $$ and some grief.... Find someone familiar w/ these cars, and have them go over it for you.

So I guess replacing the maf is not as easy as I thought.

In itself, not difficult to do. [IF that's the problem]. The replacement stuff from the local AP is, as Earl said, a crapshoot.
The translator is designed as a work around when the real DELCO mafs became scarce.

no anyone close with a known good maf you can try to see if it corrects the problem?

So I guess replacing the maf is not as easy as I thought.
It's not difficult to replace as far as tools are required, you can install the maf and a cold air kit w/a screwdriver or a nut driver. and the trans. is plug and play. May need to screw the housing down to the inner fender or fire wall. Just insure the maf is bad.

If you do replace the MAF, go Translator!! When my MAF puked years ago, I used the MAF translator and LS1 or LT1 (cant remember) MAF sensor. WOW, what a difference! My tip in hesitation is gone, and it runs so smooth. Dont waste your time or money on "stock" replacement MAFs

WhiteTtype989 has a cardone maf for sale for $45.00, claims it came off his running car. This can buy you time to save for the upgrade.

Where can I get a translator and about how much do they sell for? THanx for feedback guys.