Body bushings

DCVING 6

I want to replace all of my body bushings. Just had a few quick questions.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

There are 7 locations per side of the vehicle.
6 of those 7 locataions have an upper and lower bushing.
The # 5 position is the only one with a single bushing unit.
There are a total of 26 bushings.
If I buy new bolts, I need 14 total.

Does this sound right? :)

Anybody have the complete kit? I priced through GM and it was $151 for 2-7 upper and lower and 1 lowers. They no longer carry #1 uppers.

Thanks. :D

You are correct.
I went to a wrecking yard and found both #1 uppers and the #5 one piece bushing in good shape all for less than $5.
The bolts were a problem for me. Some of them were rusted so bad that I had to twist them off and that opened up a can of worms. Sure hope it doesn't happen to you.
Peter

Changing by bushings was the first winter project I did this winter. I went with new energy suspension poly's, the full kit ended up being just over $100. canadian. Cant wait, I know I will notice a difference! Make sure you spray your bolts a day earlier. It makes the job much easier. It took me about 5 hours.
HTH and good Luck, Mike;)

If you have time to wait for shipping.. try Gibbs penetrating oil. I saw it on Trucks or one of the sunday shows on TNN and it looks pretty good. I haven't tried it yet but I do plan on trying it when i do my bushings b/c my bolts look like they may give me some problems. It seems to go for about 15.00 for a 16 oz can.. just search for it on yahoo and you'll find it. If you try it post a review so I know weather or not to use it ;)

Actually for bolts I am going to buy new ones from GM. I just wanted to double check my figuring and see if I couldn't find a kit for cheaper.

I looked at Kirbans site, he has a 6 piece set, but I don't know if its 6 pieces total, or for 6 locations. guess I could call them up and see. :rolleyes: :D

Hey T-type Mike, Do you have a website or a contact for Energy Suspensions?
DCVING6@aol.com

I replaced all my old wore out stock bushings with the Energy Suspension kit. It came with all the bushings (inlcuding the missing GNX #5 bushing), new washers, and new sleeves. It did NOT come with new bolts, but I was able to use the old one with out any problems. The energy suspension kit is right around $100 and is well worth it. My car fells MUCH better now.

Originally posted by DCVING 6
Actually for bolts I am going to buy new ones from GM. I just wanted to double check my figuring and see if I couldn't find a kit for cheaper.

I looked at Kirbans site, he has a 6 piece set, but I don't know if its 6 pieces total, or for 6 locations. guess I could call them up and see. :rolleyes: :D

Hey T-type Mike, Do you have a website or a contact for Energy Suspensions?
DCVING6@aol.com

The six piece kit would be the 6 missing lowers.

I just replaced all of mine with the Energy Suspension Kit. I wouldn't replace the bolts unless they were really bad and if I did I would just buy some bolts the right threads and length and use standard flat washers (the stock bolts have that flare head thing that needs no washer). There are two maybe three different lengths. I'm just assuming the dealership ones are high. Just call Jegs or Summit as they both have the poly kit for about 107 or 108 dollars. I was hesitant about this kit because they are advertised as polyurethan. I didn't like the idea of a hard material in this application but the whole kit for the price it is seemed like the most economical thing to get. I don't know why I didn't like the sound of it as unibody cars have no rubber isolation and are fine. The poly suspension stuff I've seen is very hard. These are not. They are "rubbery". I am in Texas and the bolts had very little rust and came out fine. No cheater pipe just little 3/8 drive. I did however run into other problems. Jacking up body enough to get I think it was #3's out. The frame and all will come up with it if you are not careful. I didn't put the car on stands, just ramps on the front and 3/4 ply would under rear wheels. This may have been part of the problem. The stock ones are a one piece thing (the rubber and the metal) and are harder to get out than the poly ones are to get in. This is a plus for the polys. Be sure and take the bumpers off. It's worth it. Don't jack around be sure and replace all of them. You can't really tell how bad thier condition is until you get them out. Mine were bad. Be careful jacking on the body. Also the frame will spring out of alignment when you take the bolts out. To get it lined back up, you may have to use a come-a-long if it springs out or a jack if it springs in. I had to use a jack. My number 7's were about two inches off a piece! Make sure you have some pry bars available. This two finger typing is wearing me out. Just call me between 6 and 10pm CST @ (903)693-2988 and I will tell you everything I know about it. If anyone else has any questions about this they can call me.

I did this job on my Monte last year. Had a ball. 26 bushings sounds right. But there are only 12 bolts. #5 bushing requires no bolts. BTW, The #1 bolt was slightly longer than 2, 4, 6 & 7. #3 was shorter and smaller in diameter. The shouldered bolts are available from GM. Your results may vary.
www.gnttype.org has a couple of good pages on this job.