Body Bushings

RATROASTER

Davey
Here's an idea of how far the frame needs to be split from the body using the hinge method.

Attachments

• IMG_0112.JPG
    IMG_0112.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_0113.JPG
    IMG_0113.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 250
I also changed over to a manual steering box for my turbo conversion car.

Attachments

• IMG_0080.JPG
    IMG_0080.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 261
I'm still amazed my front swaybar survived the crash.....

Attachments

• IMG_0077.JPG
    IMG_0077.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 195
  • t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 193
Dang, nasty crash. Wondering what it entailed to replace the body bushings. Scale of 1-10 whats the difficulty? Do you just simply need to losen where the body bushings are held to place, or do you have to take off all the grounds. control arms, all that buisness. Thanks.

Turbo6Chicago said:
Looks like a pretty hefty job, hope I never have to worry about the bushings.
From what I've been told, if you still have the OEM's, it is time for new ones!! Maybe thats why my car sits lower on one side then the other ! :confused:

A lot depends upon the enviorenmental conditions that the car has been subject to the last 18 years or so. I just had the missing #'s 3 & 4 lower body bushings & the GNX upper body bushings, (# 5), installed and I was amazed at how good the other ones looked. This was on an 17K original mile Calif garaged & covered it's entire car. FWIW, I went with the original GM rubber ones.

YRUSOSLO said:
What do you mean "hinge method"?

Instead of splitting the the body from the entire frame, ie. taking every bushing out and completely separate the body from the frame. There is enough clearence to change the rear six bushings, then change the front six. This is so much simpler as you do not need to line the body up to the frame to bolt the bushing back in.

Here's an important note. For 1987's, if you do not use stock bushings, ie Energy & PST, do not use the upper washer between the top bushing and the body. Energy & PST w/ the upper washers will increase your ride height. Ofcourse if you have an '86 you may want to. The 86's sit closer to the ground. I used the upper washers on my 1986 Regal with the 455 conversion. If you have bad bushings, which most of these Regals do, changing out these bushings is well worth it to diminish noise and handling. Its not for the faint hearted. Everything that connects from the body to the frame must be disconnected, ie rear shocks, brake lines, speedo, fan shroud, engine ground strap, tranny cooler lines, battery cables, but you can usually just take the radiator out of its mounting and have enough space to spare from removing the upper and lower rad hose.

Lookin good,Davey
I picked up .2 in the 1/4 by changing these rubber bushings out. It's great to see you making progress!!!