Blows smoke on start up badly

JUSTA3.8V6

Hey guys, my car recently started blowing smoke on start up pretty badly. It does it for about 5 minutes or so then stops and nothing unusual comes out of the exhaust pipe. I plan on doing a compression test and leak down test but any ideas would be helpful. Thanks!

It doesn't happen under load that I can tell. Nor has anyone said anything. After driving it around town I can come home and give it throttle w the throttle body and nothing comes out. I was thinking valve seals or turbo. If it was the turbo wouldn't it blow smoke constantly?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Yea w turbo it prob would. When mine went it was blowing smoke but hard to tell. But ypu said no.one behind you.said something so prob valve seals

Well if that's what it is it's probably do. 178,000 miles on it.

When my turbo seals went it was intermittent and more prevalent when hot. Also I was running 0-30 oil. Switching to 10-30 made it much less common before I got a new turbo. Never did it on start up though. Sounds like valve seals.

Yeah, I agree. I did a compression test today and everything read 130-140psi so that's good. The car is done for the season. Time to tear it down.

Sent from my HTCONE using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

Turbo seal is my bet. Mine did about the same thing .

That's my guess too. Just wish it was easier to figure out. Lol

Sent from my HTCONE using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

Before you condemn your turbo check the hose from your pcv, you might be suprised, it may have a lot of oil in it. I just installed a catch can and was shocked how much oil it picked up in a hundred miles.

pcv probably pulling oil. pull the up pipe and intake pipe and if you have oil in the up pipe and turbo inlet you definitely have a turbo issue. Otherwise it's bad guides. Don't waste time doing seals. Better off just having new guides and valves put in. Mine were sleeved and still blow smoke. I've learned to live with it.

Did all the checks mine was leaking on the exhaust side. It finally got bad enough to smoke all the time at idle.
Pulled the turbo and it had slack in the bearing and oil on the exhaust wheel.