blowoff valve?

rickyracer01

how come GN's don't have blowoff valves? and when is it ok to use one? after what modifications would it be ok to use one.

how come GN's don't have blowoff valves? and when is it ok to use one? after what modifications would it be ok to use one.

As long as your blinker fluid is full, and your OEM exhaust bearings have been replaced with new ones, then, and only then can a blow off valve be considered as the next mod.

Might want to check your carburetor belt as well, while you are under the hood, as those tend to go bad after a few years.

I'll take a stab at one of a couple possible answers to that question. The people at the buick division didn't design the motors like something you see done with the forced induction 4cyl import systems. Whenever you get in the throttle hard and get out of the gas with our turbo buicks, you'll notice that exhaust gurgle being heard through the exhaust system as the turbo turbine is slowing back down with exhaust gases exitting out the back of the car. Alot of it is due to the intake and exhaust manifold system design differences between turbo buick v6's and the import crowd. In short, the answer is because the engineers came up with other ideas when they designed the turbo buick engine and wanted it to scream american muscle, not sound like an angry lawnmower per say with a hissing bellowing when you got out of the gas after putting your foot in it.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Please do a search for BOV, bov, or blow of valve. There's God only know how many threads about this subject. Do you need one? Not unless you really think you're going to make a lot of power. The reason they weren't put on the cars from the factory is because they were built in the 80's and a lot of the stuff we see today was very exotic at the time. Considering that the newest TB powered car is now 25 years old and is still running without one, that should tell you something.;)

I'll take a stab at one of a couple possible answers to that question. The people at the buick division didn't design the motors like something you see done with the forced induction 4cyl import systems. Whenever you get in the throttle hard and get out of the gas with our turbo buicks, you'll notice that exhaust gurgle being heard through the exhaust system as the turbo turbine is slowing back down with exhaust gases exitting out the back of the car. Alot of it is due to the intake and exhaust manifold system design differences between turbo buick v6's and the import crowd. In short, the answer is because the engineers came up with other ideas when they designed the turbo buick engine and wanted it to scream american muscle, not sound like an angry lawnmower per say with a hissing bellowing when you got out of the gas after putting your foot in it.

My blow off valve exits to atmosphere and makes zero noise
and it was made by one of the leading TB companies back in the day

[quote="rickyracer01,after what modifications would it be ok to use one.[/quote]

If you switch to a manual transmission you might want a BOV if your boost drops a lot between shifts.

Get one, get it now, don't wait. Oh, and the bigger, the better!

I was only referring to how they came from the factory, if someone did something to their car after getting it that's on that individual.
They weren't produced with one off the assembly line and at the time alot of stuff was still being learned, was all i was saying.

Oh god.

Why do you believe you need one?
If you are going to aggressively be in and out of the throttle (like road course racing) then it would be a good idea. If you plan on the straight line, then its extra money you could have used to go faster.
If Buick had built these cars with the intention of three pedals, you better believe they would have added a relief valve.

I was only referring to how they came from the factory, if someone did something to their car after getting it that's on that individual.
They weren't produced with one off the assembly line and at the time alot of stuff was still being learned, was all i was saying.

BOV's were around waaay before the turbo Buick.

1. Answer No.1, the factory build does not need a B/O valve as the turbo, intercooler, air filter and entire intake system were all matched so that quickly closing the throttle did not generate any audible or damaging reverberation when air flow suddenly stopped.

Any change which will affect the factory balance adding more air flow, such as adding a larger turbo, or IC or larger air filter or whatever, will audibly let you know when the throttle is suddenly closed, and most likely not be damaging. :)

2. You can add a B/O valve at any time or power level!

3. Simple answer, any time you feel the need! ;)