Blown head gasket... Suggestions?

Slix

Ok so I saw bubbles in the overflow when I started it up.this am and pulled the dipstick and I have the dreaded milk shake.

Switched over to water and Lucas supercoolant. Just not 100% sure if they blew before or after I switched out the antifreeze. It was prestone in it before the swap..

Any suggestions on what's the best thing to do now?

If you've got the milkshake, the oil is ruined and the block and oil passages are full of a clumpy oil/water mix.

You'll need to pull the motor and tear it completely down. Have it tanked and cleaned, figure out why the gasket blew, correct that, and do a complete overhaul.

Sorry about the bad luck.

Dumped what's left of the coolant. Was thinking drain the oil and put a new.filter and oil and run that thru the engine to get all the milkshake out of it...

I see a couple of my buddies with ls motors with turbo riding them hard and occasionally racing them, why do GN motor blow head gaskets so easy?

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

I see a couple of my buddies with ls motors with turbo riding them hard and occasionally racing them, why do GN motor blow head gaskets so easy?

They don't blow easily. We abuse them severely. This engine produces a massive amount of cylinder pressure, and the heads have a tendency to lift off the block above 24 or 25 psi, or the block will distort and you get a weak spot in the interface. Depending on the gasket type, it'll either blow (stock type) or start leaking (MLS and shim type).

It's math. An LS engine making 400 horsepower is generating 50hp per cylinder. A V6 making the same power generates 67hp per cylinder. Bump it to 500 and the spread increases to 63/83. It just gets worse if you go up from there.

Getting them not to blow at boost above 22-24 PSI requires perfect block and head prep. And they'll still eventually fail if you beat on them. This engine made 110hp in naturally aspirated form. GM more than doubled that in 1986, and many of us are doubling it again.

That makes alotta sense. Never looked at it that way Thanks

I'd wanna find out why it did it. Leaning these engines out will orbit the head gaskets in short order.

Dumped what's left of the coolant. Was thinking drain the oil and put a new.filter and oil and run that thru the engine to get all the milkshake out of it...

Running for any length of time with that much water in the oil is going to damage the bearings.

Generally what will happen is the antifreeze gets between the bearing and the rod and main caps and tightens the clearance up...and ends up spinning one or more bearings.

And to add with "Turbo6inKY" said stock buick blocks have only eight total bolts/studs holding them to the block where as LS has six per cylinder.

When did you switch coolants? Days, weeks, months ago? I have blown headgaskets before , replaced them ( with a Victor Reinz gasket set) and drained all fluids, cycled a few oil changes thru and kept going for years. Antifreeze is a premature death wish to an engine when mixed with oil. I am 100% sure that I am not the only one on this board that has done this. I don't necessarily recommend it on your motor. For some an engine removal may not be in the cards. I was stationed in Germany and it was the only transpo. Whatever you do, don't reuse the old TTY (torque to yield head bolts). If you have never removed your engine/trans before it will be a worth while experience.

Last edited:
When did you switch coolants? Days, weeks, months ago?

If you have never removed your engine/trans before it will be a worth while experience.

Literally, probably hours.... Flushed system and used distilled water and water additive....

And what did you mean by a worthwile experience? In what terms?