Blowing out Oil filter O ring after changing timing chain

Might want to pull it back apart (pressure relief parts) just to verify the valve has un-stuck itself. Peace of mind for you.
I've had an oil filter blow up in my face years ago. Good thing it wasn't up to operating temps yet. It was caused by my brilliant idea to mod the bypass circuit during my trial and failure years back in '88-'90, when no one knew anything about these engines. It also wadded the filter element up inside the can.
Recently had a StageII peg the 150 psi pressure gauge on start up. TA external pump cover was the issue, there. Bypass passage was in the wrong spot. That caused an Exxon Valdez situation, too. 7+QTS makes a huge mess. LOL.

Might want to pull it back apart (pressure relief parts) just to verify the valve has un-stuck itself. Peace of mind for you.
I've had an oil filter blow up in my face years ago. Good thing it wasn't up to operating temps yet. It was caused by my brilliant idea to mod the bypass circuit during my trial and failure years back in '88-'90, when no one knew anything about these engines. It also wadded the filter element up inside the can.
Recently had a StageII peg the 150 psi pressure gauge on start up. TA external pump cover was the issue, there. Bypass passage was in the wrong spot. That caused an Exxon Valdez situation, too. 7+QTS makes a huge mess. LOL.

X2 .... couldn't agree more ... pull apart the bypass / filter boss and insure the relief valve isn't bound up and is free moving .. it doesn't take long to do this ..
At the same time you can inspect the pump gears and plate surface .. put it back together and have peace of mind .

Hits keep Rolling in!!

Now the car won't even turn over, hit the key and nothing. Man I'll tell you I wonder sometimes about my choice of car...never ending

Hits keep Rolling in!!

Now the car won't even turn over, hit the key and nothing. Man I'll tell you I wonder sometimes about my choice of car...never ending

Did the battery run down? Have you checked it to see?

If the battery voltage is good. It could be the starter not engaging and i've read that some people have taken a hammer and tapped on the side of the starter to get it to work again,just don't beat on it and keep away from the wires/terminals on it.

Last edited:
That equals more "fun". It's time to take it off, and get it rebuilt.. Or, use a mini in it's place.
Mine hasn't failed, but it's on the list for replacement.
Yep that is what I figured, I need one for my big turbo car as well so may as well order two mini's.

Had to take a break on working on it so I would stop looking at the can of gas and matches......

I have a 60K stock starter on my 87. However, it's now coming off for a mini.
Been looking at Powermaster, We use them on the bbc, and find they give no problems.
AIRC, if the mt block has dual mount holes, a sbc unit will fit the v sicks.