blm low but o2 are high

mike86ttype

LOW ALKY!!! AGAIN?
cruising at about 40mph my o2s are pegged at 933 but my blm are around 95 if i floor it my blm goes to 128 max and sometimes the o2 will jump around. it kind of wants to die when it is idling too. i just put some fuel injector cleaner with a full tank of gas could that be the problem. i don't know how old my fuel injectors are and the fuel pump is about 2 years old and the filter is about 2 months old. my fuel pressure is fine too. iac and tps is adjusted right and working fine on the scanmaster.

thrasher chip in

summary
idle:
o2 933 no movement
blm 95 +-5
fuel pressure 38psi

floored
o2 933 my drop down to 200 but goes back up to 933 for a while
blm 128
fuel pressure 50psi or so

cruise 35mph
o2 933
blm 95 may hit 101 sometimes
fuel pressure 44psi

Sounds like your O2 sensor is shot. If the O2 is reading high (rich) all the time the computer will compensate by driving the BLM down to lean the car out. Try a new sensor and see what happens. The reason the BLM goes to 128 at WOT is because of the chip programming.

Neal

rich

sounds like computer is compensating for a rich running conditioin. Don't assume o2 is bad. Force a lean condition by disconnecting a vacuum line and see if the o2s come down and the blms come up. If so, your o2 is doing it's job and reporting a rich condition. (not FP reg, try cannister vent hose) Disconnect o2 should see around 450mv. Try this stuff and get back with us! Lets trouble
shoot it not troubleguess it!!! Don't get me wrong, your o2 could be bad, I just like to know for sure prior to spending.

When the O2 sensor is seeing too much fuel, it will reduce fueling which will lower the BLM number. The perfect target fueling (14.7:1 A/F) should result in a BLM of 128. The max BLM is like 166 and the bottom is 90. Your 95 number means its pulling almost as much fuel as it possibly can. Its almost maxed out. 95 means its leaning it way out to compensate for a rich condition. When you go WOT and you see a 128, its only because the computer has switched into open loop, meaning its not using any sensor information to adjust fuel. So that means you're not leaning out at WOT. It just means youve dropped into open loop and the number drops right into the middle of the range. This is when you need to look at o2 millivolts to see whats going on. With your typical chip, BLM's are for tuning closed loop conditions (idle and cruise) and o2 millivolts are for tuning open loop (WOT).
To know if your o2 sensor is good, we need to see if you have o2 crosscount activity. The cc's on your scanmaster should be cycling from 0-255 in closed loop. With a denso o2 sensor, my cc's would always cycle pretty slow, (even a brand new sensor) while my bosch one cycles through them really fast, which means its processing A/F data and compensating much faster. If your cc's arent really moving, then I would look at the o2 sensor. They should cycle from 0-255 in at least 90 seconds at the most. With my Bosch sensor, it takes 10-15 seconds. If your sensor is good, look to see what your AF says on the scanmaster. This is the MAF reading. After its totally warmed up and has been idling for at least 3 minutes and is in closed loop (blinking LED will stop blinking when in closed loop), tell us what the number is. Bring the rpm's up to around 3000 and tell us what the MAF reading is. If the MAF turns out to be ok, I would say either your fuel pressure is too high (whats it set at?), you have a sticking injector, you have a clogged fuel return line, (which would bring fuel pressure up when it shouldnt be), or maybe you have a translator that isnt set right or is damaged. We need to know all these numbers and what your combo is to really help you much further.
Also make sure your EGR valve is working. With the engine off, pop the hose off the barb. reach underneath the EGR valve and pull up on the diaphragm with your left hand, and plug the barb with your right finger. Let go of the diaphragm and see if it holds its position. If it drops right back quickly, its damaged. Also with the engine idling, pop the hose off the EGR valve and see if you feel a vacuum on the hose. You shouldnt. If you do, the EGR solenoid is bad. Also check to see that the EGR solenoid filter is clean.

Great write up Vader. Based on this I'm pretty sure my o2 sensor is bad. Thank you.