blending questions i have alcohol % tester

0%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lmfao! Run it all E85 53lbs of Boost! Make sure your heads are welded to the block.

In all seriousness, don't mix 93 with E85. That sounds like a science expirement gone wrong. Winter blend is down to 75% E85 or possibly less, no need to dilute it further or mix it with something else. I run a happy 22-23lbs year round and have pushed it to 26lbs on Summer blend.

not lmao i can run 22psi wit 2 degree ret on the 2-3 shift with 93 pump and my inj aren't large enough for 100% E85 Anyone who actually uses a blend?

You sure your boost gauge and knock sensor are correct?
I replaced the knock sensor a few years back and torqued it correctly. When it's around 90 deg outside 18 psi picks up 2-3 ret on 3rd gear shift.

Only way to properly mix it is with alky injection. Your asking for trouble putting E85 with gas. How would you ever tune it? No consistency.

That's why I keep it at 17#, zero knock

Well good. To be safe I would tune for standard 93 pump gas. I like Sunoco. Then use alky injection. Not good enough? Then do an E-85 conversion. Back in the day, I used Toulene and Xylene in my tank. It was good for that extra 2 or 3 lbs of boost but would screw up the rest of the tune.

Keeping it simple helps keep it together.

Well good. To be safe I would tune for standard 93 pump gas. I like Sunoco. Then use alky injection. Not good enough? Then do an E-85 conversion. Back in the day, I used Toulene and Xylene in my tank. It was good for that extra 2 or 3 lbs of boost but would screw up the rest of the tune.

Keeping it simple helps keep it together.
Used Xylene a couple of times. Only blew one HG from a bad stock inj in '94 and made the mistake of using ROL HG on rebuild, 13psi got those:) AFR was 11.3 @ WOT this afternoon, gotta love the OTC 2000 tuning days(still have it):D

not lmao i can run 22psi wit 2 degree ret on the 2-3 shift with 93 pump and my inj aren't large enough for 100% E85 Anyone who actually uses a blend?
You'll determine the optimal mix for your set-up. If you have a wideband,a powerlogger,a tester,and a fuel pressure gauge that you can view at WOT,you're ready to mix. Try 50/50,test it,and monitor for knock and injector duty cycle,and AF ratio. You'll be able to see what you can get away with and,yes,you will be able to produce more power. When you approach the upper limits of your fuel delivery capabilities,you can change the filter and increase the voltage to the pump to increase fuel delivery.

Last edited:
You'll determine the optimal mix for your set-up. If you have a wideband,a powerlogger,a tester,and a fuel pressure gauge that you can view at WOT,you're ready to mix. Try 50/50,test it,and monitor for knock and injector duty cycle,and AF ratio. You'll be able to see what you can get away with and,yes,you will be able to produce more power. When you approach the upper limits of your fuel delivery capabilities,you can change the filter and increase the voltage to the pump to increase fuel delivery.
thanks, what A/F to shoot for?

DONT BLEND IT !! your asking for it ! and not just from a AFR standpoint .. simple DONT BLEND

DONT BLEND IT !! your asking for it ! and not just from a AFR standpoint .. simple DONT BLEND

I agree. Why do it? Just tune it safe with a consistent known fuel and set-up. The cost of possible damage could easily be saved and then applied to the upgrades necessary for more horsepower.

Innocent question here...most here say not to mix because of the potential for inconsistency. No doubt this is a legitimate concern. But how many of you test each tank full of gas to see if in fact you are actually getting E85? I recall coming across threads suggesting in some areas E85 actually tested lower. If this is true, you may be mixing without even knowing it...

We don't have E85 in my State but we do have a couple people that go out and do random octane testing each week for a local automotive radio show. Their contention is, ever since the State cut staff in the Weights and Measures Department due to budget cuts, there is a lack of personnel to verify the octane shown at the pump is really what people are getting. The shit hit the fan little over a year ago when it made the local news

Conspiracy theorists contend the ever powerful oil company may have intervened and manipulated data to show favorable results. Don't know if I buy into all that... but going back to my original question, does anyone here test the Ethanol content themselves or do you just assume you're getting E85 because thats what it says on the pump?

Innocent question here...most here say not to mix because of the potential for inconsistency. No doubt this is a legitimate concern. But how many of you test each tank full of gas to see if in fact you are actually getting E85? I recall coming across threads suggesting in some areas E85 actually tested lower. If this is true, you may be mixing without even knowing it...

We don't have E85 in my State but we do have a couple people that go out and do random octane testing each week for a local automotive radio show. Their contention is, ever since the State cut staff in the Weights and Measures Department due to budget cuts, there is a lack of personnel to verify the octane shown at the pump is really what people are getting. The shit hit the fan little over a year ago when it made the local news

Conspiracy theorists contend the ever powerful oil company may have intervened and manipulated data to show favorable results. Don't know if I buy into all that... but going back to my original question, does anyone here test the Ethanol content themselves or do you just assume you're getting E85 because thats what it says on the pump?[/QUOTE

Most of the people I know who drive flex-fuel powered vehicles are common family folk. They wouldn't know the difference if you had them drink the stuff. The hot-rodders I know all test every batch they put in.

But, correct me if I'm wrong, there is no need to test if you have XFI and have installed a Flex-Fuel sensor. If this is true, you just have to keep the boost set at a safe "worst case" level. Or adjust accordingly.
Cal, you might want to chime in here.

I don't use the stuff. 18 lbs of boost on 93 pump gas and Alky gets me in the 9's. That's more than I think I need for busy NY street use.........But that's just me. Some of you aren't happy until you see your cranks in the rearview. The rest of us need people like that. It helps us find answers without blowing up our shit to do it. Don't get me wrong, I'm also willing to share info on all the times I've done something stupid. And unfortunately, there's been a lot of times.

Sorry, I set the first reply improperly. Here it is.

Most of the people I know who drive flex-fuel powered vehicles are common family folk. They wouldn't know the difference if you had them drink the stuff. The hot-rodders I know all test every batch they put in.

But, correct me if I'm wrong, there is no need to test if you have XFI and have installed a Flex-Fuel sensor. If this is true, you just have to keep the boost set at a safe "worst case" level. Or adjust accordingly.
Cal, you might want to chime in here.

I don't use the stuff. 18 lbs of boost on 93 pump gas and Alky gets me in the 9's. That's more than I think I need for busy NY street use.........But that's just me. Some of you aren't happy until you see your cranks in the rearview. The rest of us need people like that. It helps us find answers without blowing up our shit to do it. Don't get me wrong, I'm also willing to share info on all the times I've done something stupid. And unfortunately, there's been a lot of times.