Black powder in trans pan

d0n_3d

Boost is good.
Beware I am a newbie with transmissions...but before I put my car away for the winter this year I had to change the trans fluid and noticed LOTS of black powder looking stuff around the trans magnet...cleaned it all out and changed the fluid...a month later i had to change the fluid again because i changed the tcc solenoid...well i again noticed more black powder but not as much as last time but still enough...

now i have heard that this is time for a rebuild...is my trans really THAT bad? the trans is stock with no shift kit installed to my knowledge...it has 85k miles on it...i mean the trans still shifts pretty firm with no slippage...i have never had problems with my trans shifting...also i have had a trans cooler on the trans the car's entire life...is this just normal at around this mileage and will this thing hold up for a couple runs this year at the track with my mods???

That substance is clutch material and is normal. My advice is to not wory about it and keep changing the fluid on a normal basis.
Metal pieces and chunks is another story.
Mitch

A truely stock trans wont last long running low 12's-hi 11's and slicks. Especially without at least a shift kit.

well my car is mostly in street use and i only plan on racing it with slicks a couple times this year...

no i didn't see any metal chunks of such just black powder...so i guess it is ok

i do plan on installing bruce's shift kit soon which should help

some useful info transmission clutch disk and band material usually wont stick in clumps to the magnet in clumps .what this stuff usually is is convertior cluch lining and bushing surface eroded powder combined to form a mettalic crud common in all auto trans w/ a convertor clutch .this is normal and dont be alarmed especially if trans works good .www.ckperformance.com

Don you will like that PTS vb kit. When you order it tell Bruce you want the "snap your frigin head off" option for shift firmness. By the way those are his words. And that is what it will do trust me. :D