Biggest Turbo question?

gndriver

OK What's the biggest ball bearing turbo one can run on the street with a stock bottom end 109, "before kaboom!" keeping in mind that the turbo wont be pushed harder than 18 lbs?

If you are only going to run 18lbs....why bother? A 60 series turbo would be more than adequate.

Ok 72 lbs siemens, billet roller 206,206, champion irons, 3600 LU 9/11 from Bruce, twin 340's, intergral wastegate.

I understand that bigger moves more volume but if you cap it at 18lbs then you defeat the more volume theory....right...or am I missing something? Are your heads/cam combo so big that you need this volume to produce 18lbs of boost?? I am not trying to be a smart ass...just curious.

Blown z=The bigger the turbo the more air it moves through out the boost range but the bigger the turbo the more boost you have to run through it for it to be at its best effieciency is what was explained to me by a turbo guru.

aperrego=Any turbo not just 60 i was thinking more on the lines of 70's series.

I understand what your asking....if it were me and I KNEW it wouldnt go past 18 psi.....I'de stick a 72 turbo on it no doubt, it would pull hard as hell:p just make sure you got the fuel to cover it.....:cool:

Thank you Smokinttype, that's what I was looking for. So you like the ball bearing 72 over the bb 74 interesting with the stock block, interesting. Anyone else?

you'll never be able to run that big a turbo at 18 lbs without some fancy wastegate control...all it'll do is surge, and blow the wastegate open because you can't put enough spring pressure on it.......

for 18 lbs (why?) boost, you would be better off with a TA-49...it would be maxxed if your heads flow well enough

I have to kind of agree with the guys here. I have a 70 and recently ran it at the track with 17 PSI. I did manage a 11.4 with it but so much is left on the table. I would be better off with a 44 at those ranges. It hits its powerband in the 22 PSI+ range where it is like night and day. If my head gasket wasn't hurt I would be setting it for 25 PSI and running deep in the 10's. Run it where you wish but it will not feel all that responsive at the lower levels. Crank it up and hold on!

I was just wondering if anyone experiment with a bb turbo that big with that boost level. I was reading about people running in the tens on pump gas? I have heard people running the 74 bb with no problems with 18 lbs of boost and reached their goals. Not that I beleive these people was just wondering if anyone has experimented with those type of turbos without pushing them that hard. Me I plan to run my turbo In the 24+ lbs range:D .

What kind of times are you planning on running? I have seen a guy running a 72 one time on stock block, stock headed motor....he said it would go 6.50's....I waited around to watch it and it only went a 8.30 1/8th mile:rolleyes: :p The thing wouldnt spool at all I think he had a 2800 stall trying to spool that thing....You need atleast 3800-4000 to spool that 72......Now seriously if you really plan on running 24-25psi Ide go with the TE45A ...thats what I run on mine....I got a girdle and all the other fancy stuff on mine...I plan on running 6.70's -6.80's (1/8th mile) at 24-25psi....Now there are people going 10.20's in the quarter with this turbo at 36-38psi. With the TE45A turbo and the 9/11 billet converter 3500-3800 stall. I did see a buddy of mine go a 6.53 before on stock heads and a 70 turbo @ who knows what kind of boost ... of course it had all the fancy stuff on it too. But have a goal so it will be easier to give you a suggestion on a turbo. Ive never heard of any fast times on pump gas...Mine only goes 7.20's - 7.30's on @ 20psi on 93 octane

The twin bb 74 is a great turbo. But it is not for a stock block.

If you want to tinker around with a big turbo at lower boost levels I would try a 70 but no bigger than that.

You can not run a turbo that size at 18 psi on pump gas, you will kill the motor. Anything over 14 or 15 psi and a max of 18 to 19 degrees is asking for trouble.

As far as stall speed goes you should be able to use a 3200 stall converter and it will spin up just fine.

On a stage block, 74 twin bb at 20 psi there was a certain GN that ran 10.50 at 129. There was a lot of room left to go.

The ball bearing turbos allow you to run a bigger compressor without the need for the high stall speeds.

Whats the " sweet spot " on a te-45A ? i would like to run 10 s reliably at about 24 lbs boost with a 3500 stall?

it would depend on how well your heads flow, but my 45A likes 26-7 lbs and would be happy at higher levels also.....10's at 24 lbs is doable, once again if your heads are up to the task...I ran a bunch of 10.9's at 22-23 lbs

without good heads, you'll need 28-30 to accomplish the same thing

i ran an 80 bb turbo on a stock block and with a 3500 stall 9in art car converter it didnt spool that great but at 100 ft it was gone ......the car ran 134.9 in the 1/4

shawn

Originally posted by idaho gn
i ran an 80 bb turbo on a stock block and with a 3500 stall 9in art car converter it didnt spool that great but at 100 ft it was gone ......the car ran 134.9 in the 1/4

shawn

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Was that with a girdle?

Was that with a girdle?

I can’t speak for Shawn, but the motor did not have a girdle
It was a .20 Over JE Pistons with 3 Billet main caps and a custom billet roller. Keep in mind Shawn did this with a Heavy Car, close to 4000lbs car and at high elevation. In a lighter car Shawn would have easily been the stock block king!