Biggest turbo on stock injectors

87GN_70GS

What's the biggest turbo I can run on 30# stock replacement injectors, adj fpr , 340 fuel pump, 3" dp, stock D5 and an otherwise stock configuration?

What's the biggest turbo I can run on 30# stock replacement injectors, adj fpr , 340 fuel pump, 3" dp, stock D5 and an otherwise stock configuration?

With stock type injectors you can not upgrade the turbo. When I got my direct scan hooked up two years ago I was running an untouched long block, stock intercooler, stock turbo. My injector pw was 104%. I had maxed them out by just increasing the boost (I was running 110 octane). Upgrade the injectors to 60# and then you won't have to worry about them for a while.

I'd say a 49 tops.....

Or 44 or GT32. The stock turbo is matched up good with the stock injectors. Everything maxed out should be low 12s with a good 60'. Figure 107-110MPH or so depending on conditions.

Do injectors before turbo. Stock fuel system isnt the best. Especially after 20 years of wearing down.

Didnt see 30#ers you should be safe with the above posts but why not go to 42.5-60#ers now?

we ran 44s for years with stockers and 30#s in the high 11s at the time in Melissa's old Limited T .. dammm that was a while ago :eek:

You can safely run the biggest turbo you can fit on your car with the stock injectors. You just can't turn up the boost.:p

In all seriousness though you're looking at it wrong. Just like a turbo is picked primarily based on how much power you want to make. (of course it has to be somewhat matched to the combo) the only real way to figure out how much injector you need is to figure out what power level you are going to attain. Because, like I said above, the turbo doesn't dictate how much power you make and so has limited relevance on what injectors to run and vice versa.

A 49 if you don't turn up the boost or if you run alcohol injection.

Turn up the boost (like over pump gas levels) with a 49 on race gas, and you will lose a headgasket.

With alcohol injection, you may be able to get away with it, because "alcohol is fuel".

Good question, wondering the same thing. How would the intercooler change the equation? Could you get away with a bigger turbo with a FMIC all else being equal? :confused:

Good question, wondering the same thing. How would the intercooler change the equation? Could you get away with a bigger turbo with a FMIC all else being equal? :confused:

A FMIC would make it even leaner.

It's not the charge temps that cause the problems, its the combustion temps.

A cooler intake charge means MORE AIR is going into the cylinders. Unless you add more fuel, the result will be a lean mixture.

49 or 44

Sounds like you're going to go with a larger turbo you might consider buying used ... alot of guys are upgrading and selling their old technology turbos/injectors. You could probably for the cost of a brand new 49 or 44. get some used 009's(under 200) or spend a lil' more get flow matched 60's with chip from Eric @Turbo Tweak and a nice used Te44 or Ta49(350-450).

With the improved drivability of new injectors and the chips nowadays, why would'nt you want to upgrade.

Just bought and installed some new 30# injectors and had planned on re-using the stock turbo. But an IC full of oil and a quick inspection of the shaft says that I will be needing a rebuilt stock unit or an upgrade.

Just bought and installed some new 30# injectors and had planned on re-using the stock turbo. But an IC full of oil and a quick inspection of the shaft says that I will be needing a rebuilt stock unit or an upgrade.

Not that you asked but if I were in that situation I'd buy a turbo off of some one that is upgrading like a te60 or something and just keep the boost down until I could get some bigger injectors.

Most stock oriented guys don't get or use any scanning/tuning devices so I'd say get bigger injectors before getting a bigger turbo and just run more boost on the stock turbo. I personally don't see the need to stick with stock injectors unless you want the car to be totally original, and since you're inquiring about power mods, those days are going to be numbered.

Get 60lb injectors ( won't tell the difference ) and then read a few of the posts on how fast guys are going on the stock turbo to see if you really need a bigger turbo to fit your E.T. needs. ;)

Well now is the time to start deciding what your true intentions are with the car.. Mod it or leave it stockish. If you are working w a limited budget I would just get a rebuilt stock turbo. If you plan onupgrading later on then do inj. But if funds are limited just go w a rebuilt stocker... If you want I do have blue top inj w a chip for $100... Good luck anyways... Just get the stocker and keep enjoying the car.. summer is right around the corner...