Big Question, Need Input! 1/8th Mile Track!

Would you consider running at an 1/8th mile track?

• Yes!

Votes: 58 75.3%
  • No!

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • Not sure!

Votes: 6 7.8%

• Total voters
Not to knock anyone, but I'll bet that most if not all of the guys who have voted NO aren't running anywhere near 175 at the end of the 1/4.

I run as much or more 1/8th mile than 1/4 mile anyway. There are a whole lot more 1/8th mile tracks than 1/4 miles when you look around.

We'll be there! :biggrin: :biggrin:

well we are not BUT how many are goin over 175??? Maybe let those cars run 1/8th mile OR like NHRA does 1000's :rolleyes: .. to me a 9 sec car runs a full 1/4 mile :eek: ya I was one of the guys for 1/4 mile racing :p

well we are not BUT how many are goin over 175??? Maybe let those cars run 1/8th mile OR like NHRA does 1000's :rolleyes: .. to me a 9 sec car runs a full 1/4 mile :eek: ya I was one of the guys for 1/4 mile racing :p

I think we understand your point of view and probably agree. I believe the issue is they want a race somwhere down south and it needs to be at a track that is within the budget of a Buick race!! I think this is making them lean towards 1/8 mile tracks which are usually cheaper to rent. So that is raising the question , will we come to an 1/8 mile race??

Did I get that right??? Mike:cool:

Here is the deal guys... Plain and simple...

IMO there is too much politics involved in the Buick community. If you don't kiss the right butt you might be short...

Yes there are many events already. Most of them have poor attendance and seem to get smaller each year... I think there are several reasons for that...

I want to do an event for the racers and the community that is about FUN and about Racing... NOT ABOUT MAKING A PROFIT!!!

I guarantee this will be the highest payout of the year for all the classes that run:eek: If you rather have a jacket instead of a couple of grand, okay by me;)

Far as records, it would be cool IMO to have 1/8th mile records and 1/4th mile records. Chances are they will not be held by the same person. The set ups are different... IMO also makes it a little more of a drivers race as there is less room to catch up on the long end... Not to mention that fact that it is alot easier on parts. I would predict a few less failures than normal;)

We will have many little things that will set us apart from the "other" events. I always like to be different... Clint has some great ideas and is a wonderful and very talented coordinator. It will be different than any other Buick event before.

I really hope you all decide to come. When we make the "official" announcement all the other details will be revealed. It will be a week worth spending on Buicks:biggrin:

I want to do an event for the racers and the community that is about FUN and about Racing... NOT ABOUT MAKING A PROFIT!!!

I guarantee this will be the highest payout of the year for all the classes that run:eek: If you rather have a jacket instead of a couple of grand, okay by me;)

Far as records, it would be cool IMO to have 1/8th mile records and 1/4th mile records. Chances are they will not be held by the same person. The set ups are different... IMO also makes it a little more of a drivers race as there is less room to catch up on the long end... Not to mention that fact that it is alot easier on parts. I would predict a few less failures than normal;)

We will have many little things that will set us apart from the "other" events. I always like to be different... Clint has some great ideas and is a wonderful and very talented coordinator.

That should bring many people out, and should make a spectacular event:cool:

Here is the deal guys... Plain and simple...

IMO there is too much politics involved in the Buick community. If you don't kiss the right butt you might be short...

Yes there are many events already. Most of them have poor attendance and seem to get smaller each year... I think there are several reasons for that...

We will have many little things that will set us apart from the "other" events. I always like to be different... Clint has some great ideas and is a wonderful and very talented coordinator. It will be different than any other Buick event before.

I really hope you all decide to come. When we make the "official" announcement all the other details will be revealed. It will be a week worth spending on Buicks:biggrin:

any other questions??

any other questions??

FYI BPG is a non-profit group that puts up over $10k in racer payouts every year and is run entirely by volunteers. IMO hardcore Buick racers are a dying breed. Big payouts and a "non" political event won't necessarily pack the staging lanes and stands.

I am a fan of 1/8 mile racing and anyone who has been over 140mph in a Buick is likely going to be a fan also. It also closes the gap in HU racing from the top guy to the last and can be more exciting to watch as a result. 99% of the time the race is over @ the 1/8 and you are just beating you stuff up for the back half.

FYI BPG is a non-profit group that puts up over $10k in racer payouts every year and is run entirely by volunteers. IMO hardcore Buick racers are a dying breed. Big payouts and a "non" political event won't necessarily pack the staging lanes and stands.

]

X2

I didn't mean any offense against any party in particular...

Just seems the when, where, and how dictates more than the why...

1/8 is a good idea and if it was closer I'd go myself, but being that it's at least 1 week off work for me and one heck of a drive I'll stay home for now.

I do have a class sugestion though. Something like TSA and any one with a stock type car could compeat.

Simple rules are:
1) The car must be configured as it came from the factory. External waste gates could be allowed and the turbo must be Garret and stock appearing and in factory position.
2) Down pipe cannot be more than 2.5", no dumps, cat must be there along with exhaust.
3) Engine can be any stock Buick production v6 block (3.8 or 4.1) but must have stock production heads and crank.
4) Headers must be stock or stock looking replacement.
5) Alky could be used but no nitrous or other helpers.

The point of the class isn't to see who is fastest but who has the most improved time over a stock original time. Run it as a percentage. Say the the stock car, from the factory is rated at 13.2 (GNX) and he decides to run he would have to get in the 11's. A carb/turbo car which has a time of 17.4 would have to get into the 14's and if he got into the low 13's he would be the best improved time over the stock time so the carb/turbo would win. This would allow anyone running a chance. Just an idea and I'll probibly get slammed for it but I hadda try.:biggrin:

Tell me what you guys think.

1/8 is a good idea and if it was closer I'd go myself, but being that it's at least 1 week off work for me and one heck of a drive I'll stay home for now.

I do have a class sugestion though. Something like TSA and any one with a stock type car could compeat.

Simple rules are:
1) The car must be configured as it came from the factory. External waste gates could be allowed and the turbo must be Garret and stock appearing and in factory position.
2) Down pipe cannot be more than 2.5", no dumps, cat must be there along with exhaust.
3) Engine can be any stock Buick production v6 block (3.8 or 4.1) but must have stock production heads and crank.
4) Headers must be stock or stock looking replacement.
5) Alky could be used but no nitrous or other helpers.

The point of the class isn't to see who is fastest but who has the most improved time over a stock original time. Run it as a percentage. Say the the stock car, from the factory is rated at 13.2 (GNX) and he decides to run he would have to get in the 11's. A carb/turbo car which has a time of 17.4 would have to get into the 14's and if he got into the low 13's he would be the best improved time over the stock time so the carb/turbo would win. This would allow anyone running a chance. Just an idea and I'll probibly get slammed for it but I hadda try.:biggrin:

Tell me what you guys think.

TSA is a different class all by itself...

The man pays for the class and ALL the prize money. He didn't ask for input. He is doing this for his specific reasons...

Another class can be started if someone wants to put the effort into it...

I didn't mean any offense against any party in particular...

Just seems the when, where, and how dictates more than the why...

no offence taken...just letting you know the door is always open....:smile:

I am a fan of 1/8 mile racing and anyone who has been over 140mph in a Buick is likely going to be a fan also. It also closes the gap in HU racing from the top guy to the last and can be more exciting to watch as a result. 99% of the time the race is over @ the 1/8 and you are just beating you stuff up for the back half.

X2

Chris and Sean, will both of you come and support this?? I went to BPG and was there the year Mr. Sullivan wrecked the X..

Chris and Sean, will both of you come and support this?? I went to BPG and was there the year Mr. Sullivan wrecked the X..

I sent a PM to Shane....and I am sure we can help and promote your event...depending on the date...I would do my best to attend

We would like to add this as a point series race for TSO and TSM. Even if no points we would like to use the TSM/TSO name so that we can run under the same rules that you guys are used to. Think about it and let me know guys.

We would like to add this as a point series race for TSO and TSM. Even if no points we would like to use the TSM/TSO name so that we can run under the same rules that you guys are used to. Think about it and let me know guys.

That is up to Scott Simpson and Chris Lyons....