Best way to remove paint

pvtpilot

2LT USAF
What is the best way to strip paint off of our GNs. I'm looking to start some bodywork but really don't want to be bothered with paint stripper. Any suggestions :confused: ??

If the finish is in relatively good condition and not checked, you can do the bodyword right over the paint. Just sand with 80 grit and begin your bodywork. Better yet, paint area to be repaired with epoxy primer and do the body work over that.

The only area that is checked is the hood and between the windshield and t-tops. everything else is pretty smooth. I just figured I'd get better results stripping it down and starting from bare metal. btw.. I'm doing the whole car not just some spot repairs. Any other suggestions?

EITHER STRIP IT WITH PAINT STRIPPER OR TAKE IT SOMEPLACE TO HAVE IT MEDIA BLASTED. PERSONALLY, I'D RATHER CHEMICALLY STRIP IT, PANEL BY PANEL, AND PRIME EACH PANEL WITH PPG EPOXY PRIMER AS I GO. MEDIA BLASTING RISKS PANEL WARPAGE. OR

PAY SOMEONE ELSE TO DO IT. :p

I just had my car media blasted, cost me $700.00 for the outside and jams. turned out beautiful. i chose media blasting over chemical for 2 reasons: 1 cost. it would have been twice the money, 2 time involved. it took 3 days and i picked up my car all stripped.

hope this helps

Andy

Aircraft stripper. Tape off all the spaces between the hood and fenders and doors and trunk so you don't get any down in there. Do 1 panel at a time. Thats how the guy did mine. And I agree with you about wanting to remove all the OLD paint to get the best results you can. The hood and trunk stripped real easy. The side were stubborn, so we got one of those pads that looks like heavy duty steel wool and some gloves and it came off easier that way. We stripped the bumpers too. Take off everything you can to make it easier. After everything was off it took a day to strip the paint, with 2 of us doing it.
Tarey D.

Stripping it is way cheaper than media blasting it. Cost of stripper and your elbow grease.:D

where do you get this aircraft stripper and how much? When my brother did his 66 mustang he used the paint stripper from home depot. Is it the same or should I shoot for getting the aircraft stripper. Thanks.

Originally posted by pvtpilot
where do you get this aircraft stripper and how much? When my brother did his 66 mustang he used the paint stripper from home depot. Is it the same or should I shoot for getting the aircraft stripper. Thanks.

GOOD QUESTION!!!! IF YOU WANT TO PAY $24 A GALLON GET AIRCRAFT STRIPPER. LIKE ALL AUTOMOTIVE PAINT SUPPLIES, THEY ARE OBSCENELY OVERPRICED. I'VE USED AIRCRAFT STRIPPER..........THE STUFF FROM HOME DEPOT WORKS JUST AS GOOD AND COSTS CLOSER TO $10 A GALLON. PROVES MY POINT.

GET YOURSELF THE COARSEST STEEL WOOL YOU CAN GET. NO MEDIUM/COARSE.........COARSE. GET A COUPLE GALLONS OF LACQUER THINNER AND SOME RUBBER GLOVES. YOU'LL ALSO NEED A BOX OF RAZOR BLADES. COST ABOUT $5 A HUNDRED AT AUTO PAINT SUPPLY. YOU ALSO NEED A SCRAPER THAT YOU CAN INSERT THE RAZOR BLADES IN.

AFTER STRIPPING, TO GET THE REMAINING PAINT OFF, USE THE COARSE STEEL WOOL, STRIPPER AND THINNER TO "SCRUB" REMAINING PAINT OFF. THEN CLEAN THE BARE METAL WITH CLEAN RAGS SOAKED WITH LACQUER THINNER. YOU CAN USE A METAL PREP BEFORE PRIMERING. I USUALLY SKIP THE METAL PREP. THAT'S UP TO YOU. HAVE FUN. :rolleyes: ;)