Best way to pull Engine ?

BOP4ever

What is the easiest way to pull the engine ?
Engine and transmission as one or just the engine ?
I had a friend tell me to put a 2 x4 under the transmission suport with a chain looped through the holes on either frame rail and leave it.
I tried that this evening and was not comfortable with it ..maybe I did it wrong
The board will cross right at the front of the pan and wants to make the board roll.

Anyone got pictures of doing this ?

Thanks

Support the trans with something underneath while pulling the motor. When it's out put 2 long bolts in the top of the tranny and put a 2x4 inside the bay such that it supports the bolts.

Support the trans with something underneath while pulling the motor. When it's out put 2 long bolts in the top of the tranny and put a 2x4 inside the bay such that it supports the bolts.

Thats exactly what I do.......use a floor jack with a 12"x12" board under the trans pan when pulling then once it out I have 2 8" bolts that go through the two ears on the trans and rest on the tunnel where the body seem is......works great!

Man I just am having trouble visualizing this 8 inch bolt holding the trans up.
You put them in the upper most bellhousing holes and lay a board under them on the framw or something?
I thought there was a tech page with step by step instructions on gn t-type but I was not able to locate it.

You put them in the upper most bellhousing holes and lay a board under them on the framw or something?
I thought there was a tech page with step by step instructions on gn t-type but I was not able to locate it.

Engine Removal

no I dont use the 2 holes at the top but the next set down which is basically at the widest part of the trans,I slide the bolts through and put a rag under each so I dont scratch the fire wall and it will rest right on the body seem......I will look to see if I got a pic I just had the engine out a few months ago when I replaced my head gaskets.

IMO the safest way is to jack the transmission up and remove the engine. Next, get a ratchet strap and hook one side of it to the bolt sticking up by the hood hinge. Then run it through both the top bolt holes on the top of the tranny and connect the other side of the strap to the bolt by the other hood hinge. Then ratchet until it's tight as you need it to be. I've done it a few times and it works great....

Thanks for the replies.
I got the converter loose, crossover out, and couple trans bolts out today.
Had some errands that had to be done come up so not a lot accomplished.

Pulling the trans at the same time is just as easy.
Just make sure you put a yoke in the trans to keep it from bleeding..