best turbo for a stock convertor

The TA-60 and TE-60 technically will spool, but not as light switch quick as a stocker.
However, I would spec a billet air cooled dual ball bearing 5857 with an E compressor cover and a .63 A/R Buick housing. Also with a standard spring wastegate actuator. It should spool very nicely with a stock converter and make very good power. Speaking of power, we rate it to support 605 flywheel hp. So comparing that to the older TA-60/TE-60, the 5857 dominates them both. Journal bearing version of the 5857 would spool very similarly to the TA/TE-60 as well.
Just my O2's worth.

Patrick

The TA-60 and TE-60 technically will spool, but not as light switch quick as a stocker.
However, I would spec a billet air cooled dual ball bearing 5857 with an E compressor cover and a .63 A/R Buick housing. Also with a standard spring wastegate actuator. It should spool very nicely with a stock converter and make very good power. Speaking of power, we rate it to support 605 flywheel hp. So comparing that to the older TA-60/TE-60, the 5857 dominates them both. Journal bearing version of the 5857 would spool very similarly to the TA/TE-60 as well.
Just my O2's worth.

Patrick

Would the DBB have a similar spool up to say a 44/49?

Thanks.

You would likely gain more out of a converter and the fun factor would increase a lot more than a turbo change would unless your working the 49 really hard.

whitakergirls,definatley change the converter, it will wake up the 49 drastically,been there and done that, better have traction:biggrin:49 to a 60 is not that much change for the coin, and if you change the converter,then max the 49, you could go to a bigger turbo down the road but you will have the fundamental piece already which is the converter.49 likes 22-25psi and timing,but loves a good converter;)