Best TH400 for 10 sec TR

G McCall

What vendor or brand makes a better TH400 with transbrake for the TR ? I have built the 200-4R for the last time.

May be too many answers here considering the sponsers, but I'm looking for one built for the 9.00s so my 10 second car won't destroy it: Prices...warranty?(thought I would ask).

There are many guys out there running low 9's and 10's in streetable cars with 200 4R's. They do have to have great parts in them and have to be professionally built units. They will run you about twice what the 400 will, but you can drive their car without hating it on the freeways. Call Chris at CK, Bruce here, or any of the professional builders members here and they can give you more direct info. If you wish to do nothing but race your car, I would say go with a 400, but if you want to cruise it, the 200 is the only way to go. Just my not so humble opinion,,,,,,Mark :D

Mark,
I appreciate your comments, though.....
I have had this original 200-4R rebuilt atleast three times by a very reputable tranny shop, that probably all Buick owners know. I'm just tired of shipping and breaking again and again.
The tranny is not holding again in third on not many 10.80 passes, although its been 2 years or so since my last rebuild with every part available at that time. I stress not many runs or miles.
(In process of getting the Fast Management system tuned before turning boost up)
If one of you Buick guru tranny shops were local though, I might rebuild this tranny again, but I do little street driving now, so I'm going the TH400 route w/transbrake.
The car should run low 10s, and I believe the TH400 is a better way to go for the money. We have some local shops that can rebuild a TH400. They seem to know squat about a 200-4R.

Your comments make sense,and I also had a question come to mind. If you could answer it for my own knowledge. You said yu have lost third gear? What type of pan and sump pick up do you have on it? Like I said, just trying to further my own knowledge. Mark :D

Originally posted by 2quiktocare
Your comments make sense,and I also had a question come to mind. If you could answer it for my own knowledge. You said yu have lost third gear? What type of pan and sump pick up do you have on it? Like I said, just trying to further my own knowledge. Mark :D

;) Its a new PTSxtreme deep unit. Don't be alarmed though,

Tranny was not shifting before the pan install. I just added the pan for saftey, when I replaced the new pinned governor I bought from you guys.
More money down the drain I guess since I decided to go another route. All parts are stockpiled for "someday" .:rolleyes:

The very best brake, if cost is no object, is a Griner. Even other companies will admit that if they're honest. It's about $200 higher than any other brake out there.

Number two is the ATI. I've sold and installed more of them than I care to think about. ZERO defects, ZERO complaints. The advantage the Griner has over the ATI, and any other 400 brake for that matter, is release time. If you run a pro tree, it is something to think about.

Number three is the TCI. I've put in several, and only had a few rare problems. Again, it is slower than the Griner, and from my experience it is slower (but not much, not a factor unless you run on a pro tree) than an ATI as well. But it works, and it does not do anything stupid.

I sell and install ATI parts, and have for over 20 years, I'm an ATI dealer and preferred installer, as well as knowing the guy who owns it personally. With the exception of some 200 4R and 700 R4 parts that I get from Bruce, I sell ATI exclusively (ATI thinks so much of the Griner that they sell the Griner, and tell you it is the best), I've had exactly ONE problem or complaint with ONE converter. Not a failure, it simply didn't work like the customer wanted it to. It was replaced, and sold to someone else who loves it.

Per an agreement that Bruce and I made quite some time ago (back when THIS version of the board started after the big crash) I DO NOT post prices or quotes on this board. I simply feel that selling on the tech board is bad for the board. If you want to contact me by PM, email, or phone, I'll be glad to help you.

Hey G, if you can give me a call on Monday, or e-mail me with a number I can reach you at. I was wondering if you had addressed the cavitation problem and you have, but I would like some further info if you are willing. Thanks, Mark