Best street tire for big power?

YellaGN

I have been running a 28x11.5 ET street this last year. Now with new buildup im wanting to notch the frame and go with a 28x12.5 ET street or something similar. My old 28x11.5 spin pretty bad on the steet. Anyone have a suggestion around the same size as the 28x12.5?

If you have traction issues with those tires, the problem lies in your suspension. There are 10.5 tire class cars in the 7's on a regular basis.

I have some suspension work. Metco upper/lower and air bags. The car hooks and goes at the track. Traction is only an issue on the street. Just need some something that works as good as possible.

YellaGN said:
I have some suspension work. Metco upper/lower and air bags. The car hooks and goes at the track. Traction is only an issue on the street. Just need some something that works as good as possible.
Suspension work and suspension adjustment? How much pinion angle are you running for the street? You may be shocking the suspension too much for the street, whereas the strip needs it.

VadersV6 said:
Suspension work and suspension adjustment? How much pinion angle are you running for the street? You may be shocking the suspension too much for the street, whereas the strip needs it.
This is a good point but from what ive experienced you cant even come close to achieving the same consistent hard launches on the street. There are to many variables that you are dealing with on the street. Far less at the strip and your launching off a glue board for the most part at the strip. Shocking the rear hard and fast (transbrake) is great at the stirp if you have the correct suspension geometry. On the street it will not hook initially and never allow the suspension to do its job in allowing you to throw more power at. You just dont get the chain reaction on the street. Furthermore if you do shock it hard on the street and it spins hard it will deload the engine making for an even crappier launch. Do mods that remove weight from the front of the car or put it in a more useable location like the trunk over the axle(battery). Get the correct springs and adjustable shocks for weight transfer. You cant rely as hard on the rear, you must get maximum weight transfer on the street. You may have already done these mods. If so look into an electronic boost controller to minimze the boost down low for maximum traction.

I appreciate the help guys, but i think you have misunderstood what i am asking? I realize that i cant get the car to hook on the street as well as the track. Im not trying to cut 1.4 60's on the street. Most of my fun on the street is from a roll anyways. I do not want to mess with suspension/weight reduction. Im just asking what tire have guys had luck with on the street in a 28x12.5 size? Not looking for a miracle....just a good hookin tire.

Bison- You made very good points. This is what I was originally suggesting in the first post, when I mentioned suspension...the whole package. You're right about the inability to shock the suspension on the street (which is why I was saying you're shocking it too hard making things worse), but you're right in the fact you just cant shock it at all. But, you can shock it to some degree if you can get the weight transfer. We're dealing with force and area. A small tire with a small contact patch, will have more pounds per square inch of downforce, while a fatter one will have less. But it will have the same total downforce all around, in the end. Only way to get by this is to increase the total downforce, (through weight transfer) and then try to use tires that can handle it without shocking everything. I think people misunderestimate (thats G.W. for that one ;) ) the importance of a soft sidewall that can wrinkle like crazy on launch. This reduces the shock on the tires and shock is what causes the initial hop which momentarily unloads the suspension and causes the same momentary reduction in downforce...wheel bounces up (not enough to see), and the wheel starts spinning.
Basically, your tires are meant for VERY fast cars. If you cant hook with them on the street from a roll, you cant hook with them from a launch at the track. You have no weight transfer. You need to get that front end up with 90-10's or at least 70-30's, pull the swaybar (if you dont mind driving the car like a jet ski), and get some tires with a softer sidewall.....although I think the ET streets dont have a bad sidewall to start with.

YellaGN said:
I appreciate the help guys, but i think you have misunderstood what i am asking? I realize that i cant get the car to hook on the street as well as the track. Im not trying to cut 1.4 60's on the street. Most of my fun on the street is from a roll anyways. I do not want to mess with suspension/weight reduction. Im just asking what tire have guys had luck with on the street in a 28x12.5 size? Not looking for a miracle....just a good hookin tire.
For radials ive had ok succes on the street with BFG drag radials 275 60-15. Go with the talles tire you can. Any of the tall wrinkle walls ive tried worked well but most were slicks. I like the tall Phoenix 28.5x9 drag slick. Ive won a lot of street races on them. Keep in mind that going from a roll at really low speed can work against you even more because of the lack of weight transfer. You have the potential to really smoke any tire on the street if your not careful. You might like a tunable electronic boost controller to keep the torque away from the tries in 1st and 2nd gears.

I used to run 27x10.5 MT ET streets that hooked okay on the street but still layed down some rubber when pushed hard. With the suspension left the way it was I switched over to MT drag radials 255/60 15" and driving the same way it would spin the tires a bit then almost dead hook. Driving around with the DR's is much more predictable in turns and just crusin around, though they wear down quickly becuase of the soft compound.

M/T ET Drags work fine on the street for me, most of the time :eek: I run a 28 x 9 but if I am going as a daily driver for the week I throw on the 225 60 z rated yokohama AVS radials and light em up all the time at part throttle... Still, everything depends on the street surface conditions. Your 12.5 inch ET street should work as well as anything on the street. Track > street.

machinegun said:
big MT drag radial. Go fast and drive nice.

Only problem I had with those was shocking the sidewalls with the nitrous hit. Otherwise, they were sticky, but do wear, I didn't put many street miles on the car so it didn't bother me.