Best Shortblock??

Far from being an expert....so keep that in mind. I have ran 10.84@127 on a hot air block on 93 octane (lousy 1.74 60 ft). This was with an intercooled conversion 85 GN.

I had a girdle installed, for all of the machine work prep, it was $800. (2006 money) A stock crank with the rolled fillets are around $250 plus shipping, forged pistons are $300ish. I'd go ahead and get ARP head studs $90 and ARP rod bolts for $120. Girdle is gonna run $400 alone. Stock rods are fine. Just the parts and machine work for the shortblock are going to put you over $2000 by the time you add in shipping. That's just for a shortblock that can live in the 10's reliably.

Then you are probably looking at a hydraulic roller cam $$$, ported heads or GN1s $$$, turbo aint cheap either $$$, torque convertor to match $$$, a transmission that can live at that power level $$$$ and a rear end/axles if you drive it on the street and launch it hard at the track $$$.

There are several that have run 10 second timeslips on a hot air setup, I personally can only think of 4. I certainly dont think that is all but it is A LOT harder than on an intercooled setup. I just want you to know it isnt something you are going to throw parts at and then it will just run the number you are looking for. I can guarantee it isn't gonna run the number you want easily being non-intercooled.

So basicly a stock crank and rods and good pistons will hold low to mid 11's? When I bought the car it came with enough stuff to build two motors other than the one in the car. I have a set of ported and polished heads with the big stainless valves never bolted on a fully ported intake never bolted on a set of Kenny Bell headers with all the piping I have a set of green stripe injectors but looks like they wont be big enough.I have 3 turbos and throttle bodies so gonna send one off to have upgraded. My neighbor builds race trannies and a convertor is no biggie and as far as the rear end he is also a strange dealer and upr so drive train is taken care of from convertor back. So if I take all my stuff and put a fresh shortblock together can I get out of it what I am looking for?? One of my good friends is also my engine builder here in KC so other that notching cylinder walls what else do you need to do for a stroker? Just asking for my own good. I will not be racing this car I have a 1000 hp Mustang on the bottle for racing ,so the GN will see almost all street driving I like the fact that there wasn't many made so want to take out to car show but keep up with a new Mustang or Camaro if someone challanges.

people say 84 ha block:confused: so my question is what is a 84 HA block

Not 100% sure how to answer. I would say a HOTAIR block is a block out of a 84 Turbo Buick and some 85's. 20 bolts for the oil pan. some 85's had 14 bolt oil pans/109 blocks. :confused:

. . . . Jerry I would like to call you after the holidays and talk to you about my build. . . .

. . . SUPPORT OUR VENDORS, when you can.

I have no issues you calling me, and will share what I know. :eek:
Having said that, I advice you to listen to Boost 231 (Brent).

Earlier in this thread, I wanted to say “Call Nick Mchale” in AZ. He is very knowledgeable and honest and I am sure Brent will recommend the same.

You will have some challenges on the way to your goal, but, nothing $$$ can solve right?. :eek: What I DON’T want to see happening is you getting frustrated and converting to IC’d . . . . because your 11’s goal is very realistic, especially on E85.

If you decide to go with a Whiz Bang Super Duper Bullet Proof 9 Sec block, ship it somewhere, and have ONE person build the whole shortblock.
Of course, that will cost more than $1500, but you will be happy in the end, "IF" the tune is right.

The 20 bolt oil pan 85 blocks are NOT 109 blocks. They take the same head bolts and have the same lifter valley as the earlier 14 bolt blocks.

On a side note, I have a girdled Stroker 9 sec proven short block for sale in the for sale section.:biggrin:

^ agree however some 85's came with 14 bolt 109's that why i said some 85's the 20 bolt ones

I have no issues you calling me, and will share what I know. :eek:
Having said that, I advice you to listen to Boost 231 (Brent).

Earlier in this thread, I wanted to say “Call Nick Mchale” in AZ. He is very knowledgeable and honest and I am sure Brent will recommend the same.

You will have some challenges on the way to your goal, but, nothing $$$ can solve right?. :eek: What I DON’T want to see happening is you getting frustrated and converting to IC’d . . . . because your 11’s goal is very realistic, especially on E85.

If you decide to go with a Whiz Bang Super Duper Bullet Proof 9 Sec block, ship it somewhere, and have ONE person build the whole shortblock.
Of course, that will cost more than $1500, but you will be happy in the end, "IF" the tune is right.

LOL, I also recommend NICK to everyone because i know for a fact he knows what hes doing. its been proven over and over again. if you want to talk about your car or what your goals are or have any question fell free to call me. I tell this to everyone on here. if you have question fell free to call. i will tell you everything i know and won't hide anything. i will also tell you who to talk to as well. I want to help anyone i can. I have spent way to much money to tell you or anyone else to figure it out yourself. i want to help you achieve your goal and save you money doing it. :biggrin:

LOL, I also recommend NICK to everyone because i know for a fact he knows what hes doing. its been proven over and over again. if you want to talk about your car or what your goals are or have any question fell free to call me. I tell this to everyone on here. if you have question fell free to call. i will tell you everything i know and won't hide anything. i will also tell you who to talk to as well. I want to help anyone i can. I have spent way to much money to tell you or anyone else to figure it out yourself. i want to help you achieve your goal and save you money doing it. :biggrin:

I will send you guys some PM's to get you #s. I know alot about racing just not much about these cars. Once again this has been the most helpfull website ever. Thanks again.

Trust me as long as the money isn't going on my Mustang she's good with it having said that I still have her 67 rs camaro to finish for her.

^ agree however some 85's came with 14 bolt 109's that why i said some 85's the 20 bolt ones

They are NOT 109 blocks. The early engines have 14 bolt oil pans, the mid 85 and up are 20 bolt, but ONLY 86 and 87 have a 109 block. You have the 20 bolt 14 bolt years reversed. All 109 blocks have 20 bolt oil pans, but not all 20 bolt blocks are 109's.

your right, i'm all backwards tonight. 84-85 14 bolt, 86-87 20 bolts.

not saying all 20 bolts are 109's but a couple i have seen in 85's have had 109's in them.

They are NOT 109 blocks. The early engines have 14 bolt oil pans, the mid 85 and up are 20 bolt, but ONLY 86 and 87 have a 109 block. You have the 20 bolt 14 bolt years reversed. All 109 blocks have 20 bolt oil pans, but not all 20 bolt blocks are 109's.

Roger that.

your right, i'm all backwards tonight. 84-85 14 bolt, 86-87 20 bolts.

not saying all 20 bolts are 109's but a couple i have seen in 85's have had 109's in them.

Maybe someone swapped the blocks?

I just called to see what the price for a rebuild kit was for an 82 block which is what is in my car. 379 for master, 317 for master kit minus cam. Better than paying almost 600 bucks for a 109 kit. I think the 4.1 kit was listed at 490 but I don't know if it comes with hypers or not or if it costs extra for the hypers.