Best pro touring setup?

. . . the intentionally flawed engineering built into the G-body chassis . . .

Do tell. Exactly how WOULD one fix this, if one were to apply oneself with some modern engineering techniques? Are AFX spindles the answer, for almost $2000?

Do tell. Exactly how WOULD one fix this, if one were to apply oneself with some modern engineering techniques? Are AFX spindles the answer, for almost $2000?

Short Answer............ Yes, 2000.00 no 1358.00 yes. the Truth......... the AFX spindle is the BEST improvement you can make on the G body. there is no other front suspension part on the market that does what the AFX spindle does. The raised roll center vastly improved bump steer, ackerman improvement. better bearings, MULTITUDE of brake package available to bolt on, lower unsprung weight all add up. It doesn't matter what you do to the front suspension you can not improve it as much as by adding the AFX spindle. Ask Mark at SC&C

Short Answer............ Yes, 2000.00 no 1358.00 yes. the Truth......... the AFX spindle is the BEST improvement you can make on the G body. there is no other front suspension part on the market that does what the AFX spindle does. The raised roll center vastly improved bump steer, ackerman improvement. better bearings, MULTITUDE of brake package available to bolt on, lower unsprung weight all add up. It doesn't matter what you do to the front suspension you can not improve it as much as by adding the AFX spindle. Ask Mark at SC&C

Mark is the man.

I just put on their stage2 front UCA's with the extra tall ball joints. You can actually see the relocated ball joint position in the arm (ie-fixing stock inherent design).

You could buy a few parts that solve the real problems with our cars, and handle really well, or buy package kits and handle well, but some may not fix the true problems.

The irony about Mr.T's "catalog" comments, is that most of what he bought comes from a catalog. period. Unless somehow he just knew the part numbers and options available through his amazing telepathic skills. We just don't know!

Mark is the man.

I just put on their stage2 front UCA's with the extra tall ball joints. You can actually see the relocated ball joint position in the arm (ie-fixing stock inherent design).

just to add to this the tall ball joint by no means "FIXES" the design shortcommings, it does help to improve it.

You could buy a few parts that solve the real problems with our cars, and handle really well, or buy package kits and handle well, but some may not fix the true problems.

you are correct some of the products on the market are purley replacements, that have some benifets in that they are likley stronger some of the products on the market DO fix problems.

The irony about Mr.T's "catalog" comments, is that most of what he bought comes from a catalog. period. Unless somehow he just knew the part numbers and options available through his amazing telepathic skills. We just don't know!

some one had to make the part and sell it, it appears his main focus is not on the suspension but on other areas of the car which is awesome, and you can make the car handle "Better" by simply adding urathans sway bar bushings. but there is alot more to it than that.
i have spens many hours on the phone with Mark, talking about G bodies, and from those converstaions we have come up with a "Package" of parts that have all been designed together and arround the AFX spindle. the computer design does not lie.

some one had to make the part and sell it, it appears his main focus is not on the suspension but on other areas of the car which is awesome, and you can make the car handle "Better" by simply adding urathans sway bar bushings. but there is alot more to it than that.
i have spens many hours on the phone with Mark, talking about G bodies, and from those converstaions we have come up with a "Package" of parts that have all been designed together and arround the AFX spindle. the computer design does not lie.

Yeah, those AFX spindles are sweet! I grabbed the Stage2+ CA's because for drag racing thats all I need right now. Mark knows his stuff and his so helpful whenever you have a question.

His approach is to fix the design flaw, not design something around the flaw. Great guy to have making parts for our cars.

I ran the AFX package with 5658 MOOG springs along with more mods in the front end for about 3 years until i decided to park the car to make a few more modifications to the drivetrain. I can tell you that my car handles exceptionally well. The car is built to run 9s in the quarter and handle on a road course. I can't wait to get the time to put it back together and see how well the suspension handles the new horsepower. The AFX package is the best set up there is.

Possibly the dumb newbie question of the day...

What is this AFX Spindle you'all are referring to?

Thank you
~JM~

Thank you
~JM~

Its this spindle that comes with a 5'5 brunette with long hair and DD's who lives to serve every need you could ever have.

Thank you
~JM~

We have to be careful becuase too many people in this section whine and cry whenever we mention something that a vendor doesnt sell but I'll be generic and tell you to google it. It's the best of the best and hopefully Killer69 will become a vendor on this board soon so we can talk about it without getting into drama.

The spindle eliminates the bump steer and camber curve issues that our stock spindle have in them. The AFX spindle also has a C5 Vette hub milled into it so it can accept may different types of large aftermarket or stock C5 13" brakes. They are pricey but are well worth money of you plan to use your car in any type handling situation.

We have to be careful becuase too many people in this section whine and cry whenever we mention something that a vendor doesnt sell but I'll be generic and tell you to google it. It's the best of the best and hopefully Killer69 will become a vendor on this board soon so we can talk about it without getting into drama.

The spindle eliminates the bump steer and camber curve issues that our stock spindle have in them. The AFX spindle also has a C5 Vette hub milled into it so it can accept may different types of large aftermarket or stock C5 13" brakes. They are pricey but are well worth money of you plan to use your car in any type handling
situation.

yea something like that.

working on the sponsorship deal now

What about S10 2" Drop Spindles?

How do they affect the handling?

~JM~

Drop spindles usually result in the tire hitting the fender over bumps. Stiffer, Lower springs + taller balljoints will handle a lot better and not hit the fender so much.

Racing Rules & Discussion

Check out the Autocross / Racing Section!
Hot Air

Blake, a question on the GN on your website. With all the suspension mods and lowering, what wheel diameter/bs,brakes did you run and did the frame need notching? Has this car been to the strip before and after to see how the handling upgrades effected strip performance? Obviously there are differenced between a drag only set up and a pro-touring but I'm interested in seeing if a good street handling Gbody (pro-tour style) can still run in the mid 10s with just changing tires, kind of best of both worlds...

Blake, a question on the GN on your website. With all the suspension mods and lowering, what wheel diameter/bs,brakes did you run and did the frame need notching? Has this car been to the strip before and after to see how the handling upgrades effected strip performance? Obviously there are differenced between a drag only set up and a pro-touring but I'm interested in seeing if a good street handling Gbody (pro-tour style) can still run in the mid 10s with just changing tires, kind of best of both worlds...

The car runs 18x9 6"BS and 275 35 up front with 14" 6 piston Baer pro plus in the rear 18 x9.9 5" bs ( housing ends changed the big Ford) 295 30 same brakes, the frame did not need to be notched. i did trim about 3/8 off the fender lips. the car has not been to the drag strip, it is a basically stock motor with a chip and injectors and exhaust, the guy i bought the car from had the motor rebuilt back in 92 and used cast pistons???? go figure, and it has an issue with knock that i cant seem to tune out or it. i REALLY don't want to rebuild the motor yet. personally i think it is always difficult to make a car do both things really well, I always say a good drag car is a bad road car that being said i have all th econfidance in the rear suspension there is lots of adjustment, the trailing arms allow as much articulation as is possible with the original suspension design, combine that with the coil over package and the ability to adjust the anti squat, instant center and using a good double adjustable shock there is no reason it can't work as well or even better than any other rear kit on the market. The front is really designed as a road setup. the droop travel is limited by about 1.5" so you wont get as much extention on the launch.again if you were to use some good double adjustable shocks you could tune it to work. the shocks are the key. If you have the power and ability to do chassis tuning then i see no reason why it can't work???? the added caster in the front (both ball joints have been relocated, lowers forward and uppers rearward) it cant hurt the top end stability at all. i notice in your sig pic your car pulls the wheels , you see the way the wheels camber in (negative) with the control arms that is reduced if you use the AFX spindle that is eliminated. they only add negative camber under compression.

No. A 200mph Buick isn't Pro-Touring; it is a race car. Everything you read in magazines is designed to sell you things, as it is the nature of their business.

Why do you need to spend hundreds or thousands on parts to achieve the results of a car you can drive/race? You don't.

With a few choice suspension parts, some good tires and brake upgrades you can achieve night and day results that will perform as well as any "kit" out of any catalogue.

I don't have a single "DSE" part on my car and wouldn't waste the money on it either. Usually modified stock parts are good enough to achieve results... many national Solo 2 (auto-x) championships have been won with near-stock, well set up, 3rd and 4th Gen F-bodies. You'd be surprised at the similarities between the G and F-body cars.

My recommendation is that you get yourself into some proper sticky tires and wider wheels (17 or 18" max), quality shocks (not coil overs), stiffer springs and/or an axle mounted rear swaybar (not HRpartsnstuff), a fresh suspension with some existing stock style flex remaining (either rubber bushings in boxed stock arms, or poly-U in stock un-boxed arms), a more aggressive brake pad compounds, and a CG Lock to increase your personal confidence while driving. Lastly, you need to setup your suspension (alignment), tune your tires (pressure) and get familiar with your car in more extreme conditions.

But that means your hands get dirty, you don't get bonus points at the local car show for buying stuff out of a magazine, and might have money left over for other upgrades.

hater_gonna_hate_02.jpg

So pro touring is a bunch of parts sold out of a catalogue?

Why don't you go dig your steel out of a mountain, melt it down, mold/machine your parts and bolt them on with self made tools to your homemade ****ing car, Mr. Fixit.

You're nothing but a whiner.

This is the same assclown that was giving **** to the member (dsapper) in the lounge who is fortunate enough to be able to afford to let a quality shop build his GN.

Give it a rest.

No. A 200mph Buick isn't Pro-Touring; it is a race car. Everything you read in magazines is designed to sell you things, as it is the nature of their business.

Why do you need to spend hundreds or thousands on parts to achieve the results of a car you can drive/race? You don't.

With a few choice suspension parts, some good tires and brake upgrades you can achieve night and day results that will perform as well as any "kit" out of any catalogue.

I don't have a single "DSE" part on my car and wouldn't waste the money on it either. Usually modified stock parts are good enough to achieve results... many national Solo 2 (auto-x) championships have been won with near-stock, well set up, 3rd and 4th Gen F-bodies. You'd be surprised at the similarities between the G and F-body cars.

My recommendation is that you get yourself into some proper sticky tires and wider wheels (17 or 18" max), quality shocks (not coil overs), stiffer springs and/or an axle mounted rear swaybar (not HRpartsnstuff), a fresh suspension with some existing stock style flex remaining (either rubber bushings in boxed stock arms, or poly-U in stock un-boxed arms), a more aggressive brake pad compounds, and a CG Lock to increase your personal confidence while driving. Lastly, you need to setup your suspension (alignment), tune your tires (pressure) and get familiar with your car in more extreme conditions.

But that means your hands get dirty, you don't get bonus points at the local car show for buying stuff out of a magazine, and might have money left over for other upgrades.

This is the same thing Scott was saying back when he wasnt selling DSE parts. Almost the exact same thing actually. Now, I'm sure Scott will tell you to not mess around and just buy good parts.

What I'm trying to say here is that we all know you can make your car handle much better by doing the simple things. You will certainly notice a difference. I am certainly a believer in not spending a ton of money on unnessary or just "name brand" parts for the simple reason as to put it on your list to tell people at a car show. I think Scott will agree though, you buy these higher quality parts to make the car handle easier. We can all try to say what we use is the best, blah blah blah, but the real answer comes in engineering.

I prefer and stand by the AFX spindles becuase I understand the engineering behind them and see nothing that can come to a comparison. For me, the money is well worth the overall extreme improvement. Another thing to look at here is that these also come with double adjustable upper control arms. ANOTHER HUGE PLUS!

If you actually compare apples to apples, the AFX package is relatively inexpensive.

No matter who's system you use, as long as the engineering is there and improves our issues in the front end, it only pays to spend the money and get good parts.