Best Paint Gun

trbodon21

If anyone can give me some insight on what to look for when buying an Automotive paint gun I would appreciate it. I noticed that some are gravity fed and some aren't. Is their any pro's or cons between the two. Also what type of pressure should the gun operate at because I noticed some are between 15 and 50 PSI and others are 45 to 80 PSI? I will be using the paint gun for Auto Body painting with automotive acrylic enamel. Thanks.

I didn't realize there was a Show Car and Restoration/Body Repair forum. This thread should probably be posted there.

The gun you're looking for will be a HVLP top feed gun, the one that has the cup above the gun. The bottom feed ones work well enough, just is you won't be able to get all the paint out of the bottom so the top feeds are prefered. Get a good brand, spend a bill or two on the gun. Don't get the $20 cambell hausfield special at the local hardware stove. I've got a Binks I picked up used, it's a bottom feed gun but honestly it's a fairly nice end piece and for $30 I wasn't gonna gripe. The cheaper guns probably won't atomize nearly as well, and your paint job probably won't come out as nice. A seperate regulator and a de-oiler/line drier are a good thought, any lines you run past the de-oiler/line drier MUST be clean. Also, be *very* meticulious on your prep, if your prep is ****ty you won't like the paint job. I don't do cars for a living, but I do paint for a living and I know bad prep when I see it!

HVLP gravity fed is best.

The HVLP will save you $$$ I have sprayed many cars using less than 10PSI. Go with a good gun $150+, the only time I would use a "cheap" gun is shooting primers or on junk jobs that didn't matter (Like when I sparayed my lawn tractor pearl white with rainbow flake on top). HVLP will allow you to get more material on the car and less in the air, this will save you money that can help offset the cost of the better gun. I try to use gravity fed over siphon designs unless I am spraying candys, pearls or flakes. The siphon is easy to keep mixed so flakes don't settle at the bottom and make blotches in the paint. Always have fisheye eliminator on hand!! I have used the House of Kolor KE170 with great success.

Always keep everything clean and free from oil or water. I use oiless compressors for painting, yes they make more noise but I have zero worries about oil coming through the lines.

Depending on what color you are spraying, there may be a few gun choices out there. For your typical Grand National in black you may use nearly any HVLP gun. I would stick with HVLP because you definitly will transfer more paint to the body verses a conventional gun. If you are going with a metallic color, your going to want a top of the line gun to get a superb job. Cheap guns tend to not atomize the paint as well which results in a rough looking finish and mottling. I personally use Sata and Iwata HVLP guns. Price range is around $400.00 beans. But a good gun that will last you through 100s of paint jobs. When clearing, also use a better gun as clear is the most expensive of all the products you will be using. So you want to get the most transfer for your buck. Part of the whole process also involves your air supply. If you don`t have an adequate compressor to supply an HVLP, it simply won`t work. I can`t tell you how many people think they can paint their car with a portable Craftsmen compressor. They simply can`t do the job. Then you will pay nearly double the cost to begin with to have the job done over by a professional. And prep work is the key ingredient to a good job as well. If someone can`t meet the proper needs to do a good job then don`t do it at all or hand it over to someone who can.

I'm in school now for autobody/refinishing. I've used a couple of different guns; Divilbiss, Sata, and Iwata. I like the way the Sata hvlp lays the paint out so i'm gonna pick up one of them as soon as i can.

I bought my Sata NR2000 off ebay. They retail for around $400 new with regulator. I had one for color and one for clear. By far the best gun I have ever used. For what its worth, I had a 1.3 tip on each gun.

I you want some very good info go to www.paintucation.com and read up and ask ? they just revamped the website so all the old info is not there. they are working on getting all this info back up.