Best gear to lockup a converter at the track?

Single disk 3rd gear, multi-disk whenever you want to. :)

Actually, I guess it would depend upon the horsepower you were making, and the rpm at various points on the track.

Prolly on a stock longblock motor single disk in 3rd near 4500-5000 rpms.

Lock up

Very near the top of third gear. As an example, my car shifts every shift @ 5800. My chip forces WOT lock up @ 5600 in third. This is done using MPH in the chip.

play with it.

mine likes being locked up right off the line (so 2nd gear) i'm not having any problems with it, but i probably am tearing up my clutches. once i get my tranny back with a 10 vane pump it shouldnt' be a problem.

I just had my lock-up torque convertor replaced under warranty after less than ten runs, street and strip. I locked it up in 2nd gear (shorting the ALDL switch before launch). The TC company said they'd never see clutches fried like that before. My engine puts about 400hp to the flywheel.
Keith

kjhansen, out of curiosity, what kind of converter do you have? I have a CK performance billet 9/11 and have locked it up on 30+ runs at the track and have not had a problem.

Kind of a long story...
I had a transmission problem back in February. Took it to a local guy who was reportedly the best in town. Told him I raced it occassionally. He took it apart and told me the modified D5 (Century Transmissions/Mike Kurtz, about 3 years old) had come apart and ruined the trans. I could believe it, since that had happened before. I use a StageRight Trans Brake and I lock the TCC up in 2nd gear and that is hard on convertors. Anyway, I told him I needed a real strong torque convertor and he told me he only bought Precision's products. Sounded good to me, although expensive. So, 7 months later the torque convertor lock up fails. The trans guy tells me this is outside the convertor warranty. I say, no way. Precision has a 2 year warranty, unconditional. He says, no, not true, here's the number, call them. So I did. It was Precision of Ohio, not Precision Industries of Oakland, Tennessee. Another company with the same name. They agreed to send me another TC free when I told them it had less than 3000 miles on it and after they'd taken it apart and seen the fried clutches. I didn't want another of their TCs, I wanted a refund so I could apply the $$$ to a real Precision TC, a Vigilante. Nope, wouldn't do that. So now I've got another cheapo expensive TC in the car. Sigh.
Keith

I have made countless runs with the 12" lock-up converter in my 86 GN. The original converter was removed and replaced with a 12" from an 84 GN. It reportedly had a little more stall. We would lock the converter in third gear at about the 1000' mark and it increased the speed by approximately 2 MPH. It had little effect on et. When Jim Bell introduced his "Hot Flash" chip in 1989 or so, that chip would lock the converter just after the shift into second gear. The converter was locked in second gear and for the rest of the quarter when the car ran 10.7 at 125 mph. It improved the et as well as MPH. The converter never failed. We proved without a doubt that at least on my car with its stock cam but with ported heads the car ran stronger locked. When I replaced the stock 3.8 with the Stage 1, 274" motor I installed an Art Carr 9". In the next few months I intend to purchase a Stage 2 transmission from Chris (CK) but I have not yet decided whether to go with a 9/11 lock-up or stay with the proven 9".