Best Converter

Opinions here on the Best Converter for a TH400 with Brake...

Thanks
Joe
I am in the market for a new converter and was doing research and came across this thread and it has been an interesting read. My converter which is not a ATI, PTC, or Chance was so bad the first time you could not tell when the car was shifting. Paid for the r & r and even paid for the fricken tightening of the converter which I felt was way wrong since they missed it.

So everything seemed ok after the re-intall. Now after chasing a MPH problem it has come back to the converter again, which I thought was resolved so it was the last thing I checked. I changed, injectors, coil pack, wires, alternator, chips, injector loom, plugs, scan tools, then checked the converter and its slipping in upwards of 40%. So I am not going to give these people another chance.

Just wondering why Performance Automotive Engines {P.A.E.} and their switch pitch was never mentioned ? I can not afford to keep taking this trans in and out so is it possible to buy a converter that is right the first time and will last ? I think maybe Don's Nos set up along with the right converter may sound the best for me. I drive my car to and from the track and like to do things once.

My car currently is a stock long block , 52 turbo, 60lb injectors,Dequick V2 front mount, thdp, tin man cai, translater plus, lt1 maf, hemco upper, hemco internal air redirecting chincadaro, lt1 valve springs, atr exhaust, Th400 with brake,3400 stall, Gear Vendors O.D., Moser 12 bolt 33 spline with t/a cover, alluminum driveshaft, 28x10.5 M/T ET drags, HR boxed lowers & adjustable uppers, HR bar, Qa1 adjustables. My best @30 lbs from start to finish is 11.55 @ 113 mph with a 1.51 60ft .Yes a 30lb launch:biggrin:. Oh and my new favorite thing the power logger !

I am in the market for a new converter and was doing research and came across this thread and it has been an interesting read. My converter which is not a ATI, PTC, or Chance was so bad the first time you could not tell when the car was shifting. Paid for the r & r and even paid for the fricken tightening of the converter which I felt was way wrong since they missed it.

So everything seemed ok after the re-intall. Now after chasing a MPH problem it has come back to the converter again, which I thought was resolved so it was the last thing I checked. I changed, injectors, coil pack, wires, alternator, chips, injector loom, plugs, scan tools, then checked the converter and its slipping in upwards of 40%. So I am not going to give these people another chance.

Just wondering why Performance Automotive Engines {P.A.E.} and their switch pitch was never mentioned ? I can not afford to keep taking this trans in and out so is it possible to buy a converter that is right the first time and will last ? I think maybe Don's Nos set up along with the right converter may sound the best for me. I drive my car to and from the track and like to do things once.

My car currently is a stock long block , 52 turbo, 60lb injectors,Dequick V2 front mount, thdp, tin man cai, translater plus, lt1 maf, hemco upper, hemco internal air redirecting chincadaro, lt1 valve springs, atr exhaust, Th400 with brake,3400 stall, Gear Vendors O.D., Moser 12 bolt 33 spline with t/a cover, alluminum driveshaft, 28x10.5 M/T ET drags, HR boxed lowers & adjustable uppers, HR bar, Qa1 adjustables. My best @30 lbs from start to finish is 11.55 @ 113 mph with a 1.51 60ft .Yes a 30lb launch:biggrin:. Oh and my new favorite thing the power logger !

You didnt post your RPMs through the traps but I suspect they are high, especially with the low MPH for that ET(still an impressive ET with a stock long lock). We can set you up with an ATI unit that will perform with the best converters on the market for a very reasonable price. Let me know if I can help.

I have tried a switch pitch setup and it works ok but it gives up efficiency over a fixed pitch converter, at wot. It will drive like a stocker on the street and work well with the gv for crusing over a fixed converter, but it will have some durability issues with the transbrake and you may expect to see high slippage numbers over ~20% at the top.

You have to becareful with converter selection as the GV will cause the converter to slip more when cruising, however if you make it too tight the turbo won't spool. You have to decide on what compromises you have to live with.

You didnt post your RPMs through the traps but I suspect they are high, especially with the low MPH for that ET(still an impressive ET with a stock long lock). We can set you up with an ATI unit that will perform with the best converters on the market for a very reasonable price. Let me know if I can help.

That run using the TCI calculator for conv. slip
1st gear 41.3 %
2nd gear 26.1 %
3rd gear 22.0 %
4th gear 31.0 %
For some reason on this run I shifted into overdrive which normally is not the case. I think that only two runs have been over 113 and both were in O.D., normally the car is running 110-113. It also would not surprise me if there was some tire slip in first gear because the track is always slik. I am going to research the switch pitch some more and then will let you know. The ATI has a good rep.
Thanks

Dave Fiscus and Kerney are runing PTC.

I had heard that... and I also heard he was running a switch pitch converter.... was not real sure wht converter was in there when he set the record.

I assume the switch pitch he was running at one point was built by someone other than PTC?

I had heard that... and I also heard he was running a switch pitch converter.... was not real sure wht converter was in there when he set the record.

I assume the switch pitch he was running at one point was built by someone other than PTC?

The record was set with a PTC Converter from Dusty/Chris/Twisted 6.
I am not sure that Dick ever used a switch pitch converter.
He did/does have a variable stall valve body in his transmission.

ATI Converter

I will not be able to give any inputs on the Converter until May 2008. As I have the Converter coming from ATI in which Bob speaks highly about Bill Anderson. And the Transmission is coming from Lonnie at Extreme Automatics.
I think with these two Units I should have a pretty good Duo.:rolleyes:
A reply will be stated at a later date.

Joe

ATI vs ART carr

is there anyone that us using the ati (n/l) convertor for the 200r, is it any better than the a.c.non lock up?

I will not be able to give any inputs on the Converter until May 2008. As I have the Converter coming from ATI in which Bob speaks highly about Bill Anderson. And the Transmission is coming from Lonnie at Extreme Automatics.
I think with these two Units I should have a pretty good Duo.:rolleyes:
A reply will be stated at a later date.

Joe

Hi Joe,

What are your reasons for choosing ATI over the rest ?

Hi Joe,

What are your reasons for choosing ATI over the rest ?

2 REASONS
1 is that the Lemans has been running an 8" for the past 16 years and NEVER missed a beat. People cannot understand how much power we make at the wheel with little modds on the BBC NO Dyno records. Just Street Racing.
16 x 33 MT with 4.56 Gears. The Converter was specifically built for this combo, and I have never changed anything since. I still cannot control the Car at WOT in the Street.:eek:

2 is the construction....ask Bill Anderson about it.

The record was set with a PTC Converter from Dusty/Chris/Twisted 6.
I am not sure that Dick ever used a switch pitch converter.
He did/does have a variable stall valve body in his transmission.

Exactly. Kereny has variable stall as it was needed with the super tight pro-torque converter he used to run. The VSC is no longer needed with the PTC but he still uses it.

Cool thread !!!

Didn't Dave Fiscus just run 8.34 @ 167 ..... on radials?

Shouldn't that reinforce that the PTC converters are a force to be feared....

I also think the 9.14 pass that Kerney made at Reynolds was done with a PTC converter.....

Very informative thread ! After reading all of it, to my opinion PTC converters have proven themselves & given us a more affordable option. Just my $.02 :) Congrats to all involved !! :cool:

All i have to say Chris,Is its must be the bug in the jar:eek:
He has something to do with it!:cool:

Ati N/l Convertor

nobody using a ati convertor non lock with a 200r, or is the art carr the way to go??

There (in this very thread) some mention of ATI being a good converter.....I don't specifically remember much praise for the Art Carr.... just slips too much up top. If you really want to skinny on non-lockup converters... read this thread front to back.... just about anything you ever wanted to know (and maybe some stuff you didn't) is there......

nobody using a ati convertor non lock with a 200r, or is the art carr the way to go??

I can't speak for the ATI. We have mated our 9.5 non lock that performs so well in the TSM cars with the 27 spline needed to work with the 200r. Results have been great with much better efficiency than the Art Carr.

Were you there....I'm sure your aware of Fiscus' boost controller issues. It shut the C02 off after the run started. So far it spools the 47-88 without using Lonnie's boost builder and showed 4% slip through the traps.

I'll have more data soon. Not from Fiscus but from 2 other cars that just swapped from Chance to PTC bolt togethers last week:eek:

Do you have the data on how much slippage the 2 cars had before and after ? What method they are using to determine slip ? It would also be nice to know the stall's, mph, rpm's, and et's before and after switching converters. This info would be very helpful with choosing converters. :confused: