Best combo for low 11's

excobraguy

Hey all,

I'm new here, so don't beat me up too bad. I am buying an 87 GN and have a few questions. What would be the best set of mods, the car is mostly stock, to get it to run in the low 11's? Any answers would be greatly appreciated. I have searched on the topic and found a multitude of answers, but I'm curious to see answers to the specific question about running 11's. Thanks guys.

Dean

low elevens.

My combo is described in my signature. This is a very streetable build, that I would drive anywhere at anytime. Cant wait to make a 26# pass this year.

It all depends on your car and your tune. You can run pretty fast on a pretty basic combo........ as you can see in my sig below....... mine ran the number your looking for with minimal mods :) HTH Good luck with your GN!!!

Depends a little on your location. You wouldn't need everything in my sig if your closer to sea level.

Start with Razor's Alky kit... It will allow you to run 20-26lbs of boost on a stock block with pump gas... Thats 50-80hp right there.

Second(really should be done at the same time) A turbo Tweak chip for the alcohol and 60lb injectors.(you can buy smaller injectors, but you really can buy them once and not have to worry until you're in the low 10s)

Third: Walbro fuel pump and hotiwre kit with ajustable fuel pressure regulator.

That group of things really should be done all at the same time. Your looking at about 1100$ and low 12s possibly. You can skip the alky kit(for now), but it's really the back bone to making power. I bet the car already has it but you also need a boost guage boost controller or HD waste gate.

Second group of things:
FULL exhaust: 3in Down pipe, Hooker 2.5 dual exhaust, High flow cat if you need one.

You should now be looking at High 11s on the right tires and 25lbs of boost.

Now is when you might start thinking about the turbo. The gt3255 like I have works great with your stock converter and is good for 520 crank hp. If you want to upgrade your converter then get a bigger turbo lke a gt6152.

At the same time I would look into a solid MAF pipe if you dont have one and alteast have a big K&N filter on the MAF.

All in all you're looking at 2-3000$ of stuff to get into low 11s high 10s but there is a lot you can do with the stock stuff if it's in good shape. If I put an alky kit on my setup I would be well into the deep 12s, with a down pipe and proper exhaust mid 11s.

Also once you hit around 500crank HP you have to start worrying about the engine eating itself. You will need a block girdle. The engine has to come out for this, and if the engine is out you might as well do a rebuild with a cam and head work... There is a reason why most of the guys either have 400rwhp or 600+rwhp... I have not seen a lot in between because at the 450+rwph level the engine needs to get girdled and most guys do a performance build while the engine is out.

Im currently in the process of getting out of turbo buicks to go back into off road racing... these cars are money pits. They are rewarding money pits, just not my cup of tea any more. Definately a fun car, and it will become an obsession... also a cobra doesnt get 1/4 the attention this car will get you... I get thumbs up all the time, and it takes me 30min just to fill up... Hell I get more attention in this than on the chopper I built.

Start with Razor's Alky kit... It will allow you to run 20-26lbs of boost on a stock block with pump gas... Thats 50-80hp right there.

Second(really should be done at the same time) A turbo Tweak chip for the alcohol and 60lb injectors.(you can buy smaller injectors, but you really can buy them once and not have to worry until you're in the low 10s)

Third: Walbro fuel pump and hotiwre kit with ajustable fuel pressure regulator.

That group of things really should be done all at the same time. Your looking at about 1100$ and low 12s possibly. You can skip the alky kit(for now), but it's really the back bone to making power. I bet the car already has it but you also need a boost guage boost controller or HD waste gate.

Second group of things:
FULL exhaust: 3in Down pipe, Hooker 2.5 dual exhaust, High flow cat if you need one.

You should now be looking at High 11s on the right tires and 25lbs of boost.

Now is when you might start thinking about the turbo. The gt3255 like I have works great with your stock converter and is good for 520 crank hp. If you want to upgrade your converter then get a bigger turbo lke a gt6152.

At the same time I would look into a solid MAF pipe if you dont have one and alteast have a big K&N filter on the MAF.

All in all you're looking at 2-3000$ of stuff to get into low 11s high 10s but there is a lot you can do with the stock stuff if it's in good shape. If I put an alky kit on my setup I would be well into the deep 12s, with a down pipe and proper exhaust mid 11s.

Also once you hit around 500crank HP you have to start worrying about the engine eating itself. You will need a block girdle. The engine has to come out for this, and if the engine is out you might as well do a rebuild with a cam and head work... There is a reason why most of the guys either have 400rwhp or 600+rwhp... I have not seen a lot in between because at the 450+rwph level the engine needs to get girdled and most guys do a performance build while the engine is out.

Im currently in the process of getting out of turbo buicks to go back into off road racing... these cars are money pits. They are rewarding money pits, just not my cup of tea any more. Definately a fun car, and it will become an obsession... also a cobra doesnt get 1/4 the attention this car will get you... I get thumbs up all the time, and it takes me 30min just to fill up... Hell I get more attention in this than on the chopper I built.

i think you need to run low 11's before you can tell somebody how to do it :rolleyes: how would you even know you dont have any of the parts you are telling him to get

It all depends on your car and your tune. You can run pretty fast on a pretty basic combo........ as you can see in my sig below....... mine ran the number your looking for with minimal mods :) HTH Good luck with your GN!!!

Hi Neil, your car runs really well for the parts you have. I just want to know a few things like, how much does your car weigh? Do you use race fuel with a race chip? Do you run open exhaust and what fuel pump or pumps? What kind of wheels and tires to you race with?

Thanks Marco.

86 Grand National t-top (60780km)
stock long block, stock suspension, 12 inch red stripe convertor (2800stall), te44, smc alk injection (95 % etanol), 25.5lbs boost, 94 octane, hooker cat back with dyno max ultra flow muffers, 42 ½ lbs 009 injectors, turbotweak alky chip, thdp, mease 24 row IC, Ron Custom max boost brake module, MT drag radials (275/50/15) 3835lbs race weight with driver. (Torque convertor locked only after car shifted in third), rjc power plate, rjc boost controller, zeitronix wideband, HR motor mounts, comp cam 980 valve springs.
BEST E/T
60FT=1.55
1/8= 7.34
1/4= 11.59
MPH=118
BEST 60FT=1.52

Hi Neil, your car runs really well for the parts you have. I just want to know a few things like, how much does your car weigh? Do you use race fuel with a race chip? Do you run open exhaust and what fuel pump or pumps? What kind of wheels and tires to you race with?

Thanks Marco.

Marco, last time I weighed my car I think it was 3620lbs? Cant remember. I have a full stereo in the trunk too, I know its in the 3500lb range either way. The time in my sig was straight 110 fuel with a Turbo Tweak Race Chip. Open exhaust, walboro 340 hotwired. I was using ET Drags 28x9s with the stock rear sway bar!:eek: HTH

i think you need to run low 11's before you can tell somebody how to do it :rolleyes: how would you even know you dont have any of the parts you are telling him to get

maybe you need a running car... Whats up with all the jerk offs on this forum anyways? At one point I had the plan to do exactly what I had written, but plans change.

I work with 1500hp blown alcohol injected engines on a daily basis, I think I know a bit about making horsepower...

its called rebuilding and i could care less about your stupid engines you say you work with. stop talkin out your a55 all the time and people wouldnt get on your case. just a thought for you

its called rebuilding and i could care less about your stupid engines you say you work with. stop talkin out your a55 all the time and people wouldnt get on your case. just a thought for you

Talking out my ass? I told the guy what he wanted to know. I gave him a solid in depth low 11 second streetable setup with a full explanation... you're the one who attacked me without provocation...:rolleyes:

Talking out my ass? I told the guy what he wanted to know. I gave him a solid in depth low 11 second streetable setup with a full explanation... you're the one who attacked me without provocation...:rolleyes:
1. You do not have a car that runs in the 11's
2. You tell somebody to buy parts you do not have
3. You tell somebody to make a combo you have never tried
4. sure glad you share all of you first hand experience with your vast trial and error of combos and can make one up for something you have never achieved

I just gave you a few reasons
I hope that i am all done hi jacking this thread

Come on now guys. This is Dean's thread and it was going along quite nicely. If you don't want to play nice, be courteous and take it outside.

welcome to the Buick junk Dean :eek: these cars can go low 11s with a few bolt on's . keep it simple,stupid and do NOT turn the car into a $$$ pit like lots of others do .. been there AND done it years ago :eek: :p please don't listen to some guy's that tell ya the old it "woulda, shoulda, coulda " :eek:

What do you have for parts on it already? Have you gone to the track to get some experience? It's a different animal than a SBC so no matter what it runs it can be improved apon with some seat time a the track. Make sure you have done the spring cleaning and don't have any known issues ie; bad tires, slipping trans, skips etc. A lot of stock parts are good for 11s. You don't need everything but you do need good fueling, exhaust, traction and tune. Like Dan said keep it simple.

What do you have for parts on it already? Have you gone to the track to get some experience? It's a different animal than a SBC so no matter what it runs it can be improved apon with some seat time a the track. Make sure you have done the spring cleaning and don't have any known issues ie; bad tires, slipping trans, skips etc. A lot of stock parts are good for 11s. You don't need everything but you do need good fueling, exhaust, traction and tune. Like Dan said keep it simple.

Yeah, I was running my 2004 Cobra at the track. I had a best time of 11.76 @ 118 mph with that car. It too was a money pit, one that I no longer wanted. The current mods on the car are, and this is what the previous owner has listed:

Upgrades include ....*I have the stock parts to go back

TA-49*
009's*
Fuel pump, and adj regulator*
KB cold air kit*
160 thermostat*
boost and knock gauge
aftermarket stereo
BFG radials front, BFG 275/50 DR's rear
Caspers thumbwheel chip

He said with this setup it is currently running low 13's. I'd like it to be in at least low 12's with not too much more money. Any more ideas???

welcome to the Buick junk Dean :eek: these cars can go low 11s with a few bolt on's . keep it simple,stupid and do NOT turn the car into a $$$ pit like lots of others do .. been there AND done it years ago :eek: :p please don't listen to some guy's that tell ya the old it "woulda, shoulda, coulda " :eek:

I think I am going to follow this advice.........thanks.

Yeah, I was running my 2004 Cobra at the track. I had a best time of 11.76 @ 118 mph with that car. It too was a money pit, one that I no longer wanted. The current mods on the car are, and this is what the previous owner has listed:

Upgrades include ....*I have the stock parts to go back

TA-49*
009's*
Fuel pump, and adj regulator*
KB cold air kit*
160 thermostat*
boost and knock gauge
aftermarket stereo
BFG radials front, BFG 275/50 DR's rear
Caspers thumbwheel chip

He said with this setup it is currently running low 13's. I'd like it to be in at least low 12's with not too much more money. Any more ideas???

ok .."personal opinion" here :eek: take the air cleaner out of the KB canister .. new Turbotweak chip for Alky... and Alky Control alky kit .. then play around with it ..EASY 12s and the power is there ALL the time :biggrin:

ok .."personal opinion" here :eek: take the air cleaner out of the KB canister .. new Turbotweak chip for Alky... and Alky Control alky kit .. then play around with it ..EASY 12s and the power is there ALL the time :biggrin:

I'm going to show my ignorance here......What is Alky and Alky control kit and what do they do?

I've gone mid 12's with what you have already. That was before I knew anything about these cars. Once I got a scan tool, I immediately turned the boost down. Made one pass with the direct scan and even I knew it was gonna blow up soon. 22psi on 93 pumpgas=kaboom. Point is with your mods, you should be able to run high 12's right now safely. A scan tool and a couple trips to the track will teach you a lot about what your car is doing or can do.

Methanol injection was the best dollar for power part I've ever bought. I haven't been to the track with it yet, but the first test drive after I installed it felt better than it ever has. And I didn't even turn the boost up. All detonation was gone. It will never slow you down and might save you big money.

Take your time and buy wisely. I recommend buying from supporting vendors here because they have most likely done what you want to do and can tell you why or why not to do it.

Hope this helps a little