Bent valves in champion iron heads after crank broke...

84BuickGNYorkPA

Daily Driving Buick V-6 Turbo's 1979 - Present
Hey Guys,

While the motor is in machine shop jail, I decided that I better disassemble the champion iron heads. Discovered that some of the valves kissed some of the pistons, looks like just enough to remove the carbon.
When actually when I roll some of the valve stems on a flat table edge, I can see that about half of them are bent. I tried calling Tom at Champion, and his mailbox is full... I wanted to buy a set of new valves and seals off of him. Any suggestions or comments?
I filled out his contact information on the Internet last weekend and he has not responded??

Chuck

Last edited:
the valves are ferrea 1.775 and 1.50 ..ebay has a great deal on them, for seals forget the white teflon that chamoin used and get the manley pc seals

huber did the same when his crank broke , luckily (if you can call it that) he broke between 5/6 rod jounal so only one piston was out of phase with the timing set and he only kissed two valve that i had to replace
everything going back from where yours broke could have been damaged because the timing chain wasnt in sync with the pistons

Hey Guys,

While the motor is in machine shop jail, I decided that I better disassemble the champion iron heads. Discovered that some of the valves kissed some of the pistons, looks like just enough to remove the carbon.
When actually when I roll some of the valve stems on a flat table edge, I can see that about half of them are bent. I tried calling Tom at Champion, and his mailbox is full... I wanted to buy a set of new valves and seals off of him. Any suggestions or comments?
I filled out his contact information on the Internet last weekend and he has not responded??

Chuck

you can replace the valves with Si or Manleys

Thanks Paul !! Weird seller on ebay won't accept payments at this time... I'll try again later.

Thanks turbo89 !!

So glad I checked the valves, I would have been really upset on the engine start up to hear bent valves clattering...

you would not hear them make any noise,
they would not seal, and your motor may not start, do to NO compression,

you would not hear them make any noise,
they would not seal, and your motor may not start, do to NO compression,

Or as he described the valves, I bet it would start run and he would be chasing "LACKLUSTER" performance issues from REDUCED compression, which is actually worse than NO compression :) IMHO .. anytime the heads are off .. looking at the valves and seats is well worth the time and doesn't take long

Anytime I get a car in that has lost a timing chain or is close to losing a timing chain .. this is a must

The head boss's are .525 diameter, so I'll order the .530 inside diameter seals, with the 11/32 (.34375 or .344) valve stem diameter. Looks like I can only find them in the sets of (8).... Since the seller on ebay won't take my money, Amazon.com prime has everything for $30 more on the Ferrea SST valves.
The good news for the weekend is that Friday I stopped by the machine shop and was told it should be done this week....
I can't find a local spring tester to save my butt. I may end up going to the local machine shop and have them check the springs. The head valve seals look good, I'll lap them in with compound and call it a day.

Chuck

Yes, just surprised that they aren't packaged with different quantities to choose from. Thanks for your information Paul.
I found that gasket remover is lifting the carbon off the heads pretty well, using it multiply times with scotch brite and a rag.

Hi Chuck, sorry you couldn't make it Sunday. Over on Speedtalk one member is a distributor with a very good reputation and apparently good pricing. Here is is sig:

Brian B
Dakota Parts Warehouse
The Ferrea Valve Guy
Stocking HYLOMAR
Ask about our Fast Setting Silicone..its fast
Now in stock
5/16 hollow stems
5/16 6000 series SBC
877 235 2832

Hi Carl,

Thanks for the contact, unfortunately, I already ordered the new valves, will be delivered tomorrow.

Update: Also discovered (2) bent push rods, at under $15 I ordered a fresh set, where will it end? j/k glad that I'm looking under every stone.
So for the 1st time, I replaced the throttle body bushings... and the IAC valve is spotless, there was lot's of carbon on that gadget..
Latest New Parts List
1) TA Performance Silent 9 Key Timing Set Even-fire High Performance Part # TA_V1522B
2) TA Performance Timing Chain Damper (key to silent chain, I bet).
3) New push rod full set, from Mike & Maryanne
4) New Ferrea valves full set
5) New Manley valve seals

Chuck

Update: working on the heads, all the springs checked out within 3 lbs of 145 seat pressure at 1.700" (install height). Check out this technique to lap the valve stems in, it works great!
I'll post pictures of the heads when there done.

Chuck