Beat a dead horse...

D

DGrilli

I really hate to ask questions that probably have already been answered, BUT, I'll do it anyways. I found an 84 TR and test drove it. that thing was a pig... I have an 87 monte that runs high 16's in the 1/4, and it would smoke this thing... it has a "new" engine and all this other junk... I've worked in auto parts for three years now and I kinda know my stuff... this car should beat the pants off my monte if it was in good condition, right?

Yeah it should, you might check to see if you have any exhaust leaks around your connections.:confused:

yeah,i had the same problem when i got my car.it had a brand new factory(buick dealer)installed long block with a brand new turbo,etc and it was a fvckin turd.

the problem is that those dipsh!ts at the dealer/shop/whatever have no idea what they're doing.in this case they got a turbo buick in with a hole burnt in a piston.they replace the longblock(and not for free,i have the reciepts)and proceed to reinstall all the old sensors/wiring harness,etc.and gee,whatta ya know,it runs like sh!t still.:rolleyes: they had no idea what to look for or how to tune this car,all they know is that it passed emissions and it didn't pop any codes,so it must be fine,right?:rolleyes:

when i got this car it was pinging it's guts out,it had a bad knock sensor.cheap fix,but a sure way to blown headgaskets and burnt pistons if you're a dumbass...

anyway:),do a compression test and check the oil pressure.if those are fine we can help you with the rest.but don't pay very much for it...

later,sean

What kind of fuel is in it? When I bought mine, the moron put regular 87 octane in it and the knock sensor would back everything down just when it got going.

Well here is the funny part, I actually test drove this car 8 months ago, and It hasn't moved from where I parked it (at least I think). regardless, it hasn't sold. I talked to him on the phone and he knew everything about the car. I showed up in my Advance Auto uniform before work that day, and all of a sudden... "It's my son's car, I really don't know anything about it". hmmm... anyways, I assume that there is 87 octane, and I assume it's the same 1/8 tank that has been in there for the past 12 months... the stupid readout on the dash indicated that the oil pressure was fine, but how accurate that is I don't know. Here's the deal, I really want this car to transplant the motor into the Monte Carlo I was referring to, and since it hasn't sold, I assume he'll come down from the outrageous $2500 he asked in the spring. This is NE Ohio and this car DEFINEITLY shows it. I'm planning on going back over there shortly, besides compression and checking the turbo bearing, what else should I do?

You should buy an engine from a 86-87 Turbo regal. Save you a lot of time and effort. Cost you about the same. Also, buy a heater core set from the same 86-87. Turbo engine won't fit with monte's heater core set up.

how about a 85 tr motor?

There is one for sale that I was thinking of putting in my Monte Carlo SS. It is a slow turd now and was going to intall vortec heads, better cam, intake, headers, true duel exhaust for 1,100.00. Would I be better off with the 85 hot air motor for 500.00? I like t-types and gn's but the prices are high and the monte is paid for. I probaly cant affore a intercooled motor because 1100.00 IS my budjet. Also I know nothing about the 3.8 turbo engines, so I would need ALOT of help. Thanks invance.

Bill B
"newguy"
Allways changing his mind
on what he wants to do
to his car. :rolleyes:

one more question

also, what are the 1/4 mile times for the hot air engine turbo regals? I am interested in the motor but if it is not going to get me into the low 14's I guess I will stay with a sbc. thanks again

****nevermind, I will pass********