BBQ wood anyone?

charlief1

RIP Charlie!
I'm just outside of Hillsboro Texas and we're clearing about 30 acres of mesquite right now. If anyone's interested in getting some wood for cooking contact me for directions. You are welcome to come down/up and cut as much as you want as long as it's in 2 piles. You take one home and we keep the other.:) Trees will aready be cut down so all you need to do is cut it for smoking or what ever you want. Some of them are small and some are large and all are uncured right now so they'll need to dry for a while but it's good solid wood if you smoke or BBQ.;) Once it's all cut I'll start making piles and then it'll be prices at $200 per cord. If you want to get it cheap all you need to do is bring a saw of some sort and something to haul it with.:)

we cook with oak down here but i bet that mosquite is awsome. And lp gas of course the faster way

we cook with oak down here but i bet that mosquite is awsome. And lp gas of course the faster way
Oak is OK but if you really want to flavor the meat the mesquite and pecan are the way to go. I also like using apple but where I am you're not gonna find it cheap.:(

Pecan is my personal favorite............

Charlie please do not bring up or use the term "favorite wood" around our lil tractor buddy......:D

^^ :D:D:D^^

That's a nice offer on the free mesquite that I may try to take you up on if I can stop working six days a week soon. :eek: I usually throw a brisket in the smoker for father's day; and that's just around the corner.

This might give you an idea of how much we cut in 2 days before the machine broke for the second time.:mad: We should be getting it back for Sunday and cutting more down. Some of this wood is 12" in diameter and most of it would be perfect for smoking.;) I'm trying to get the time to get to the power tour ending in Arlington for Saturday but if you've still got my number call me if you want to come down Carl.:)
DSCN0010.JPGDSCN0011.JPGDSCN0012.JPG

Is the mesquite wood heavy? I do a lot of smoking, but have never used real mesquite chunks. I usually use apple, and oak from my property. I'd love to try some mesquite chunks. Do you think it would cost a lot to ship a couple smaller chunks? Could be just a couple 2" slices.

Mesquite is a very heavy smoke and the wood is very dense. What I could do is cut up some in 4 or 5" sections and make a box up for shipping. I like to mix mesquite and pecan together or use oak with it. It can be very over powering if you aren't used to it. but I use straight wood rather than charcoal most of the time. I'd love to have some apple for smoking since it's a sweet wood and that changes the flavor of the meat quite a bit.:D

Want to trade out a couple pieces? Not sure if it's worth it to ship.

5 lb would probably work. We're shipping quite a was, what do you think it will cost, I'm in MN.

Let me see about making a box up so I can get dimensions and we'll see. Parcel post will be the cheapest and I doubt it would (I know, pun) get damaged. LOL

I tell you what, if you end up sending me some, I will just use the same box and send some apple wood back.

Cory Zimpel
2640 15th Street NE
Sauk Rapids, MN 56379
320-260-8883

Let me see what I can do Cory. I've got a bunch of boxes laying around that I can use. What size logs/pieces do you use? I usually use 6" pieces around 1 to 3" in diameter.

I usually use split wood about 3-4" triangle, square, however it splits, then cut it in about 2" chunks. I smoke with gas and put the chunks in a cast iron skillet over the burner to create the smoke. Don't laugh, I'm from MN, not a TX BBQ guy. Still learning a lot. My goal is to someday build an offset wood fired smoker.

We keep talkin' about wood, Polzin, Austin, turbonut85, INEEDAGN and the rest of the TFW are going to invade our thread.