Baer or Wildwood? Does it matter?

Rick, I have had both. Personally I would go with the Baer brakes every time if possible.
I have a set here to go on my GN just need to find a little time but the craftsmanship and quality is second to none. As long as you have the means the choice is simple between the two. Them being a sponsor here is just a plus. Get them already on new spindles and ready to go.

Good luck
Ronnie

Baer by far , willwood are a cheap mans upgrade

Bart's are the real deal!

Btw Hydroboost and baers make a good marriage

Baer by far , willwood are a cheap mans upgrade

Bart's are the real deal!

Btw Hydroboost and baers make a good marriage

Wilwood makes some good stuff- but it costs..
you used to see a lot of Wilwood calipers on big time race cars- NASCAR Cup cars, etc- but lately i've noticed what looks like Brembo calipers whenever i see a pic of the brake setups on those cars.. but they also use different brake setups for different tracks, and different teams have different preferences and sponsorship deals that also dictates what they use..

going back to what the Baer guy posted- PBR being bought out a while back might explain why you don't see a lot of PBR style calipers on cars at new car dealerships, and why all the high end cars (ZL1, ZR1, CTS V,etc) have big ol honkin' 6 piston Brambo calipers instead of some sort of a PBR sourced caliper.

Maybe I should just paint my stock calipers? All I really want is the red "cool" factor :)

going back to what the Baer guy posted- PBR being bought out a while back might explain why you don't see a lot of PBR style calipers on cars at new car dealerships, and why all the high end cars (ZL1, ZR1, CTS V,etc) have big ol honkin' 6 piston Brambo calipers instead of some sort of a PBR sourced caliper.

I think the move to Brembo on the premium models has more to do with marketing and Brembo brand recognition and it's association with exotic sports cars than the purchase of PBR by Bosch.

Step one trim level down from the CTS-V or the Corvette Z06 or the Camaro ZL1/SS and what do you see? PBR two-piston sliding calipers. They're still everywhere, because they're cheap and they work very well.

I did a lot of research into this last fall when looking for a 13" brake kit. Each brake setup is different, and it depends what your goals are for the car... the info below is just my opinion.

Wilwood makes some outstanding brake kits, some of their kits fit under wheels better than other block-style calipers, but some of their calipers also don't have dust boots (which isn't recommended for street use). As already mentioned, they also offer a lot of cheaper drag race oriented kits that are undersized for a full weight street car. Their prices for a quality kit (6 piston front calipers) were comparable to or higher than the Baer sets I looked at, they would have cleared my front wheels, but didn't have dust boots.

Baer (Track 4) was going to be my preference due to their well-designed calipers, quality parts, etc... (all discussed above), but the calipers would not work with my wheels after I printed the templates. The price for what you get is great. However, I didn't want to have to change wheels at this point. The Baer small rotor kits are going to be significantly more powerful at stopping than the Wilwood thin rotors.

I ultimately ended up with brand new PBR C6 calipers and DBA 4000 series rotors with Hawk pads. It gave me the most wheel clearance and was also the most economical option. I would assume I gave up some braking performance to the Baer setup due to caliper rigidity, but it was the trade off I had to make.

What I'm getting at is: set the goals for your car (drag race, street, autocross, track), decide what you want to do with wheels, talk to suppliers, print templates, check fitment, and find out what works for you.

Very well said Luke (83hurstguy) ;)

I have seen over the years many close friends who started out with Wilwood brakes racing on road courses and autocross events and after a season or two made the switch over to BAER and pretty much all of them have their different reasons...

We choose to sell BAER brakes for several reasons:

1) They are a "True" Bolt on kit with everything needed to complete the install, No cutting, no nothing! Simply install the whole front brake system in less than 2hrs..

2) Well trusted, well proved brake systems on and off the track.

3) A company who stands behind their product and has fantastic customer support along with fantastic Dealer support!

I am going on three years now having BAER brakes on my personal T-Type that see's several autocross events a year and some road course events as well as some drag racing with a bunch of spirited street driving and these brakes are still going strong with the same brake pads that BAER sent me with my kit 3 yrs ago!

They work WELL too... This was a slow pass, my best that day was Zero to 75 mph back to zero in 9.7 seconds! :)

There is always SSBC. I got a kit from them last year and the quality was excellent. they work really great also. I got the direct fit calipers for the front and disk's and calipers for the rear. Everything fit perfectly. One thing I can't say about my crappy TA "stock replacement" headers. Good lord they were god awful LOL

There is always SSBC. I got a kit from them last year and the quality was excellent. they work really great also. I got the direct fit calipers for the front and disk's and calipers for the rear. Everything fit perfectly. One thing I can't say about my crappy TA "stock replacement" headers. Good lord they were god awful LOL
Just to confirm- you did not need new spindles/rotors/etc. to mount the SSBC front calipers? Sounds like that is the way to go (for me). Thanks.

Yup, they mount to everything stock but I did put a set of vented rotors and SS brake lines. Everything bolted right up, no problems. It was around 1K for front and back calipers if I remember right.

Ok thanks. I think Summit also has their "house" brand of calipers. Not sure if they are a direct bolt on or not.