Bad alternator or battery?

DaveyX87

I drove my car today for about 20 minutes and it started stumbling really badly all of a sudden. I look down and notice my volts were super low 8.2. The car dies. I checked cables and grounds and all is fine. Both the battery and alternator are new. I don't know what happened.

Have you tried at least doing a visible inspection. Your description doesn't help us much. Could be a loose battery cable, positive battery cable grounding out on the passenger side header, or any number of things.

I checked all cables and they are ok. I was able to jump it and get it started. It's not charging. My guess is the Kirban alternator I overpaid for is crap.

Ok so no voltage light on the dash. This must be the problem. i will try replacing the bulb.

Kirban is a good dude. If it's bad I'm sure he will ship you a new one. Should be pretty easy to figure out with a battery tester.

Ok so no voltage light on the dash. This must be the problem. i will try replacing the bulb.
Screw the bulb, get the caspers alternator field fix and be done. I chased that problem for 2 months, then got the kit and no issues for 5 years now.

I'm going to order that right now. I just got home after waiting 3 hours for a flatbed. I tried to change the bulb but no luck.

I'm going to order that right now. I just got home after waiting 3 hours for a flatbed. I tried to change the bulb but no luck.
I paid for 3 flatbeds before I got the kit. Still check the Alternator and the grounds at the block and starter.

The kit is awesome.

I got the kit from Casper's today. After the sixty second install I was up and running perfectly. Thanks for the suggestions. I take back what I said about the Kirban alternator.