B Body Dual Piston Calipers

Shortty

Hey I'm new to the forum...
But any ways I'm currently building a 87 regal ground up basically for pro touring. But I'm starting on my front brakes and I'm doing the b body tall spindles I've got my spohn tubular upper and lower control arms. I'm trying to find an OE style caliper that's a dual piston if anyone knows of anything that would be great otherwise I will have to break down and purchase the kit off summit. Any info helps!

There's no "off the shelf" dual piston caliper that's OEM to fit a B body spindle. There are after market but you either need a different brake pad (non stock) or and adaptor of some sort. Sorry.

there is no oem bolt on caliper that will work- but base 88-96 C4 Vette calipers will do what you want with the 12" 1LE Camaro rotors with only a little work done to the spindle and a simple bracket fabbed up. you would essentially be copying the 1LE Camaro setup, but with a B body spindle.

IIRC, these'll do it: Howe Racing Enterprises - Howe Double Piston

I almost bought them over this past Winter... and will probably follow up on it this off-season. Call and ask Howe to confirm.

hello; I was looking at those Howe calipers but what do you think "not for highway use" is suppose to mean. IMO a caliper is a caliper and it shouldn't matter how it's driven. I'm no big Nascar fan but I've seen a couple of shows talking about calipers. It showed the difference between short and big track types and it was the size of em that was the difference.
IBBY

hello; I was looking at those Howe calipers but what do you think "not for highway use" is suppose to mean. IMO a caliper is a caliper and it shouldn't matter how it's driven. I'm no big Nascar fan but I've seen a couple of shows talking about calipers. It showed the difference between short and big track types and it was the size of em that was the difference.
IBBY

It means not DOT approved and not intended for use on a street car. If used on a street car and they fail for some reason then it's your fault, not theirs because you used them.

IIRC, these'll do it: Howe Racing Enterprises - Howe Double Piston

I almost bought them over this past Winter... and will probably follow up on it this off-season. Call and ask Howe to confirm.

I have a set of thes on my car and they do stop very well. The calipers will rattle with the bolts they sell due to the clearance designed.

I ended up drilling out the holes in the calipers to install brass bushings to take up the clearance and stop the rattling.

The other thing I ran into was the 90 degree NPT to an fitting I installed hit the frame at full lock and I broke it off.

Has anyone tried these from SSBC?

SSBC A185-MR - SSBC Quick-Change Caliper Upgrade Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

I have a set of thes on my car and they do stop very well. The calipers will rattle with the bolts they sell due to the clearance designed.

I ended up drilling out the holes in the calipers to install brass bushings to take up the clearance and stop the rattling.

The other thing I ran into was the 90 degree NPT to an fitting I installed hit the frame at full lock and I broke it off.

Has anyone tried these from SSBC?

SSBC A185-MR - SSBC Quick-Change Caliper Upgrade Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

I have used a dremel bit to cut grooves in the alum calipers. Carefully done it only took a few minutes a hole to cut the grooves to make stock orings fit. Dremel 3/8'' Disk Bit Hss | Western Tool Supply

B body spindles are better in my opinion because they use an 11.8 inch front rotor not an 11inch I got a gm 8.5 diff with 11.8 rear vented rotors on the back so the front should only match or be bigger.

so those Howe calipers will work on the b body spindles? Since it's the fourth I'm positive they aren't open so I won't bother callin to make sure.

Yup

so those Howe calipers will work on the b body spindles? Since it's the fourth I'm positive they aren't open so I won't bother callin to make sure.

Yes they will fit.

Where are you located at? If you are just looking for bigger rotors and dual piston calipers you might want to look at the S-10 blazer parts.

If you are just looking for bigger rotors and dual piston calipers you might want to look at the S-10 blazer parts.

This is the least expensive option out there and it really is a bolt on. Add some tall ball joints, get an alignment, and drive the car.:biggrin: You may have to check the wheel clearance on the calipers but a 15" wheel should fit without any issues.:cool:

Yes they will fit.

Where are you located at? If you are just looking for bigger rotors and dual piston calipers you might want to look at the S-10 blazer parts.

This is the least expensive option out there and it really is a bolt on. Add some tall ball joints, get an alignment, and drive the car.:biggrin: You may have to check the wheel clearance on the calipers but a 15" wheel should fit without any issues.:cool:

I posted about the blazer brakes and this was his repsonse.

B body spindles are better in my opinion because they use an 11.8 inch front rotor not an 11inch I got a gm 8.5 diff with 11.8 rear vented rotors on the back so the front should only match or be bigger.

I honestly don't know the size of the b-body rotors so I took his word for it that they were bigger.

not every B body built before 1990 has the 12" rotors- only the cars with the HD suspensions (cop car, wagons, etc) got the big brakes with the 5X5 bolt pattern- most of them were 11" brakes with 5X4.75 bolt pattern.. in 1990 they all got the bigger brakes and 5X5 bolt pattern. you need to use a 1990 or so 1LE F body rotor if you want to keep the stock bolt pattern..

if you want some really big brakes using factory replacement parts, then you can use the B body HD spindle with a mid 80's Chevy 1/2 ton 2 wd HD brake rotor and caliper.. these rotors are still 12" in diameter, but they are 1.25" thick.. you have to go to the 5X5 bolt pattern and bigger wheel hub diameter, tho.

not every B body built before 1990 has the 12" rotors- only the cars with the HD suspensions (cop car, wagons, etc) got the big brakes with the 5X5 bolt pattern- most of them were 11" brakes with 5X4.75 bolt pattern.. in 1990 they all got the bigger brakes and 5X5 bolt pattern. you need to use a 1990 or so 1LE F body rotor if you want to keep the stock bolt pattern..

if you want some really big brakes using factory replacement parts, then you can use the B body HD spindle with a mid 80's Chevy 1/2 ton 2 wd HD brake rotor and caliper.. these rotors are still 12" in diameter, but they are 1.25" thick.. you have to go to the 5X5 bolt pattern and bigger wheel hub diameter, tho.

I bought a 95 roadmaster off a friend for 300 expecting to use only the engine for this regal well I'm ended up deciding to use the tall spindles for this swap and the rear diff cause it's an 8.5 which now has 31 spline axles 4.10 gears and Detroit tru-trac locker with rear disc conversion and the rears are vented 11.8 inches why would I want to down grade to an 11inch in the front and use hub bearings which are one expensive and non serviceable... I went up to the 5x5 bolt pattern for the reason the roadmaster has the bigger pattern.

I bought a 95 roadmaster off a friend for 300 expecting to use only the engine for this regal well I'm ended up deciding to use the tall spindles for this swap and the rear diff cause it's an 8.5 which now has 31 spline axles 4.10 gears and Detroit tru-trac locker with rear disc conversion and the rears are vented 11.8 inches why would I want to down grade to an 11inch in the front and use hub bearings which are one expensive and non serviceable... I went up to the 5x5 bolt pattern for the reason the roadmaster has the bigger pattern.

did you bolt the rear end into your car? if so, how? the B bodies are quite a bit wider and all the mounting points are different.