Autometer electric FP gauge and powerlogger

Mike T

Can the Autometer FP gauge wiring be tapped for a signal to the powerlogger? Will sharing the transducer skew the voltage?

Thanks guys for the go ahead...thought I read somewhere that piggy backing messed with the reference values.

Worked out well. Didn't want to wait for the rail adapter so I machined a spare diegrinder collet nut to accept an o-ring and threaded the transducer end.
20180614_135926.jpg

Hey Mike, what gauge did ya get? Upon reading your thread I got 4371 because I noticed it says:
A direct plug in wiring harness is included for ease of installation and data logging is available thanks to a .5 - 4.5v analog output.

Embarrassed to say that I bought it about 10 years ago used and just now installed it. Was plug and play but did not have separate analog leads. Tapped the purple wire.

I share your embarrassment - I am just getting back into it. Circumstances have had my car on the sideline for about 10 years and it can be hard to remember where and how things were left!!!

We most likely have the same transducer where did the .5-4.5 info come from? Thought mine would be 0-5 v

If you are correct maybe that is why I have to adjust the PL to match the gauge.

I got the numbers from Autometer's web site where they describe the 4371 gauge. It sounds like we are talking about two different Autometer FP gauges.

If you have to adjust the PL to match the gauge, it does indeed sound like there may be something going on with sharing the signal on the type of gauge you have???

I got the gauge and it does not have the analog output that Autometer claims!!!! :(

After opening the gauge package and getting to the instructions, I learned a different harness than the one provided is needed to get the output from the gauge - it is a part number (9420) that I can't find on their site so it does not seem to be available anyway. They also say the sending unit must be calibrated to the Autometer data Logger. So if their gauge needs calibration for their own logger, it seems reasonable that there will be the same with a Power Logger.

So the nice harness they include will get hacked up to make it work unless I can find the pins that fit in the plug.

There is a purple, black, and grey wire coming from the sending unit. Just a guess, but I an thinking the purple is the signal wire and the black is a ground - maybe the grey provides some power to the sending unit???

Didn't have the instructions for mine so I'd be interested in the calibration procedure. My harness had a red wire that went to a keyed power source, one ground wire and the same three that you are referring to going to the transducer. The harness then plugged into the gauge. At this point all I did was tap the purple wire and run it to the Power Logger analog.

Numbers on the Power Logger were a little low compared to the gauge so I adjusted it on the config page. You click on the '"adjust" box next to analog inputs on the config page.

You can get the pins from autometer by the way, just send them a quick email. They actually sent 4 of them to me at no cost a couple years ago.

I do have some offset values in my PL to make it match up with the gauge.

I asked them for some pins as the harness just needed two wires to be complete and they eventually sent me a new harness that had the output wires.