Atv

Travon

87PSI
Does anybody know about those yamaha grizzlys? Im looking to purchase a 06 grizzly 660 and was wondering if any of you have one.

Does anybody know about those yamaha grizzlys? Im looking to purchase a 06 grizzly 660 and was wondering if any of you have one.

I had a couple,over the years ,somewhat reliable,but they are carburated,+are the only bike that ever left me stranded,+ it happened on two different bikes for some reason they would just flood themselves,i'm figuring it was dirt in the carbs + the floats would stick,the air box under the seat would actually get drenched in fuel + the motor would die,after the second bike did it i swore never again. Another problem they have is the rear axles just popping out on them,at slow speeds, i believe in low it never happened to me but alot of people complained on diff forums.Also when the rear brake gets wet it makes incredible noise + jumps + doesn't want to work so good.
I went to fuel injected + never had another problem, I would either go to a grizzly 700 which is fuel injected + has more power,or do a king quad 700
But i ended up going to polaris 700 twin efi + i think they are absolutely the best all around bike going,they are heavier,but incredibly comfortable,have great torque because of the twin cyl,+ go places in the snow that my grizzly wouldn't consider,The polaris also has all wheel drive so you can just leave it on + it steers like its in 2 wheel until the tires slip then 4 wheel kicks in,where the other ones you need to have them in 2 wheel until you need the 4 wheel,because it's so hard to steer in 4 wheel,+ sometimes it's too late you are already stuck then have to stop get it in 4 wheel + try to get unstuck,where in the polaris if you feel you got in too deep you can just nail it + get yourself out of trouble because you are already in 4 wheel.I love the polaris + wouldn't go back to the others.Also if you are going to plow the polaris is light years ahead because of the weight + the all wheel drive,no comparison.There was a few of the early 800's that had some trouble with low gear because they made so much torque the gear was coming off the shaft, but i'm sure they got it straightened out.
They got so strict around here you can't ride them anymore,so i sold mine ,+ i miss them, everybody around here sold theirs,it's a shame,It was one of the best times you can have.
Anyway i would rethink the 660 not a bad bike but if you ride alone ,expect the occasional walk out of the woods,+ needing a tow,if you get it carry extra plugs,tools, tow ropes,axle,jack,come along,etc.
good luck but i'd say find a nice 06 + up polaris 700 twin efi,you will love it,I also have some parts + a camo cover i will sell you cheap.

pics, polaris 700,came stock with these 26 inch radials,out climbed my jap bikes especially in snow,when they had a lift kit + aftermarket tires.
Great bike i miss it.
Sorry i got off track on the grizzly i know they can be had cheap,but if you can,spend a little more + go fuel injected I would,It's no fun walking out of the woods + leaving your bike behind.

Attachments

• P1000119.jpg
    P1000119.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 77
  • P1000052.jpg
    P1000052.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 76
  • P1000056.jpg
    P1000056.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 76
  • P1000057.jpg
    P1000057.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 94
  • P1000120.jpg
    P1000120.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 94
oh 1 more advantage polaris is storage,the whole top of that front rack flips up for storage + in the back is another good size storage box,you can see it in the pic,+ i added the big storage box on the back rack.I took everything with me to be prepared for every situation.

I think i have some regular pics of the grizzly's i'll scan them in + post them if i can find them.
This is really making me miss the bikes ,but i actually started thinking about them yesterday,i went out mountain biking at the place i use to ride,but there is big fines for riding atv's out there now,do you have a good place to ride,where you are? Do they still allow you to ride ?

Attachments

• P1000125.jpg
    P1000125.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 82
  • P1000121.jpg
    P1000121.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 75
Wow! I didn't know they had so many issues. Alot of reviews didn't have that much negative to say about the grizzly so thats what I was looking at. I looked at a few polaris but didn't like the 6 and $7000 price tag. I live in southern Md. there are a few places to ride here but I mainly want one to do work around the yard and make a few dollars plowing in the winter. Not alot to choose from within 200 miles

Wow! I didn't know they had so many issues. Alot of reviews didn't have that much negative to say about the grizzly so thats what I was looking at. I looked at a few polaris but didn't like the 6 and $7000 price tag. I live in southern Md. there are a few places to ride here but I mainly want one to do work around the yard and make a few dollars plowing in the winter. Not alot to choose from within 200 miles

Look around + you will find some low mile bikes cheap.
There is always deals to be had on quads,I think i payed $5200 for this bike with all the extra's + 168 miles, but we usually have alot to choose from in ma.
As i said about the plowing, nothing is better then the polaris,especially the efi twins,because of the weight ,torque + the all wheel drive makes it a pleasure to plow.
The other types are extremely hard to steer in 4 wheel drive unless you are in some snow the whole time.
I havn't driven one but the grizzly 700 with the power steering is suposed to be not too bad in 4 wheel drive,when not on full snow or mud,because the power steering makes it easier to fight the 4 wheel drive turning problem on hard ground.
Here is a link about the axles, there is a bunch of them,you could also google about the flooding problem too + it will most likely come up. Rear diff/axle problems - Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum
good luck