ATTN: Spark Plug Wire Information

TurboGeezer

If you would love to have a really good set of Mag-Core Plug Wires.......
If you love the factory look of nice GRAY wires with Black boots....
If you don't want to spend an arm and a leg.......

Pep Boys carries a series of wires from Borg Warner called Borg Warner SELECT wires. They even have a listing for both the GN and the TTA........uses the same set...suprise, suprise. However, IMHO, these are not the wires to get. Here is information on the STOCK FACTORY wires:

WIRE LENGTH
1 28"
2 22"
3 21"
4 21"
5 22"
6 25"
Approximately 3k ohm resistance per wire

Granted, these lengths are approximate (probably +- 1/2"), but are taken from FACTORY wires. If you get the suggested listing for a GN or TTA, here is what you will get:

8mm Mag-core wires in Gray with Black boots
ALL the lengths will be TOO LONG compared to original factory
You will pay $38 - $45 for the set (depending if they charge to order)
(pn CH8654) This is usually NOT a stocked item

However, if you get a set for a "90's" Buick V8 (pn CH835), here is what you will get:

two wires at 22"
two wires at 24"
one wire at 26"
one wire at 36"
two wires at 40"
1k ohm or less per wire
You will pay $30 for the set
(pn CH835) These should ALWAYS be in stock
you get two spare "long" wires if you need them for something else

As you see, the lengths match up REALLY WELL except you'll have to use the 36" one to go to plug number one. This is a little long, but is still not as long as what comes in the "suggested set". I would suggest just using it as-is and route for the extra length (it actually routes better than the factory long wire did). You can cut the wire and reinstall the connector/boot. However, I do NOT recommend this for the novice, as getting the conductivity right on these is not simple. Mag wires use a VERY thin conductive layer on the outside of the spiral core for conduction. When you strip the insulation, you usually damage this layer and cannot get good conductivity again!!

These are really nice 8mm silicone wires with super high quality boots and connections. I've had a set on the GN for about 5 years (although back then, they were sold under the Niehoff name). They still "ohm out" the same as they did new. ALWAYS remember to "grease" your boots a little before installing. These wires come with the dielectric grease.

Again, thats BORG WARNER SELECT CH835

Just a helpful suggesting from some research that I did.......so you don't have to. Again, if someone has access to the gnttype list, this may be applicable to the tech section for future reference. Hope this helps. Thanks.

TG

If you would love to have a really good set of Mag-Core Plug Wires.......
If you love the factory look of nice GRAY wires with Black boots....
If you don't want to spend an arm and a leg.......

Pep Boys carries a series of wires from Borg Warner called Borg Warner SELECT wires. They even have a listing for both the GN and the TTA........uses the same set...suprise, suprise. However, IMHO, these are not the wires to get. Here is information on the STOCK FACTORY wires:

WIRE LENGTH
1 28"
2 22"
3 21"
4 21"
5 22"
6 25"
Approximately 3k ohm resistance per wire

Granted, these lengths are approximate (probably +- 1/2"), but are taken from FACTORY wires. If you get the suggested listing for a GN or TTA, here is what you will get:

ALL the lengths will be TOO LONG compared to original factory
You will pay $38 - $45 for the set (depending if they charge to order)
(pn CH8654) This is usually NOT a stocked item

However, if you get a set for a "90's" Buick V8 (pn CH835), here is what you will get:

two wires at 22"
two wires at 24"
one wire at 26"
one wire at 36"
two wires at 40"
1k ohm or less per wire
You will pay $30 for the set
(pn CH835) These should ALWAYS be in stock
you get two spare "long" wires if you need them for something else

As you see, the lengths match up REALLY WELL except you'll have to use the 36" one to go to plug number one. This is a little long, but is still not as long as what comes in the "suggested set". I would suggest just using it as-is and route for the extra length (it actually routes better than the factory long wire did). You can cut the wire and reinstall the connector/boot. However, I do NOT recommend this for the novice, as getting the conductivity right on these is not simple. Mag wires use a VERY thin conductive layer on the outside of the spiral core for conduction. When you strip the insulation, you usually damage this layer and cannot get good conductivity again!!

These are really nice 8mm silicone wires with super high quality boots and connections. I've had a set on the GN for about 5 years (although back then, they were sold under the Niehoff name). They still "ohm out" the same as they did new. ALWAYS remember to "grease" your boots a little before installing. These wires come with the dielectric grease.

Again, thats BORG WARNER SELECT CH835

Just a helpful suggesting from some research that I did.......so you don't have to. Again, if someone has access to the gnttype list, this may be applicable to the tech section for future reference. Hope this helps. Thanks.

TG
Going to buy a set now. Thanks for the info

Maybe they still carry them. This thread is almost a teenager.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk